Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce GTX 980 Ti At $650 USD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce GTX 980 Ti At $650 USD

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce GTX 980 Ti At $650 USD

    NVIDIA unveiled the GeForce GTX 980 Ti today in gearing up for Computex Taipei. The GTX 980 Ti is NVIDIA's new flagship gaming GPU, which will set you back $649.99 USD...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...DIA-GTX-980-Ti

  • #2
    features 6GB of GDDR5 video memory
    wonder if they meant 5.5GB

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      wonder if they meant 5.5GB
      That's not enough background info. How come? Why would 5.5GB be more feasible?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by duby229 View Post

        That's not enough background info. How come? Why would 5.5GB be more feasible?
        Geforce gtx 970 had two kinds of memory, where 3.5 GB was fast, 0.5 a bit slower.

        http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/n...ory-allocation

        Comment


        • #5
          So, it's about 90% of a Titan X, in terms of processing cores, with half the memory (which should make zero difference in practically any current game), for 65% of the price. Obviously, significantly more cost efficient than a Titan X, though still quite overpriced, as are all high-end GPUs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
            So, it's about 90% of a Titan X, in terms of processing cores, with half the memory (which should make zero difference in practically any current game), for 65% of the price. Obviously, significantly more cost efficient than a Titan X, though still quite overpriced, as are all high-end GPUs.
            None of the Titan GPUs were ever a good value. The Titan X is probably the best of all of them, simply because it's a single GPU with 12GB of VRAM, which is really only useful in very specific situations.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              So, it's about 90% of a Titan X, in terms of processing cores, with half the memory (which should make zero difference in practically any current game), for 65% of the price. Obviously, significantly more cost efficient than a Titan X, though still quite overpriced, as are all high-end GPUs.
              Tests show it performs more like 97% of a Titan X, because that card was thermal limited more than this one is.

              This is basically a big price cut by NVidia on their top end card, to compete with the upcoming new AMD card.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                Tests show it performs more like 97% of a Titan X, because that card was thermal limited more than this one is.

                This is basically a big price cut by NVidia on their top end card, to compete with the upcoming new AMD card.
                Titan X ia more for scientific computing like Deep Neural Nets which require huge VRAM and high Single Precision Performance.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A time may come when video cards have more ram than the computer itself. 6GB should be plenty for, I don't know, playing anything on a cinema screen at some insane resolution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    A time may come when video cards have more ram than the computer itself. 6GB should be plenty for, I don't know, playing anything on a cinema screen at some insane resolution.

                    I can tell you that playing on 4k resolution is 8GB graphic card a minimum setup and you need 2 of those for playable FPS. You will see that with new games it will be standard in year or two.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X