X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haplo602
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Can you name some examples of such good benchmark sites?

Anything with Flash charts or JS overuse is definitely not responsive or usable. Tom's nowadays hogs cpu like nothing else. Anandtech charts are certainly color-coded, but they are static, and you can't get at the data.

Phoronix has the advantage of a repeatable test suite that almost no other site has, too, which lets many viewers overlook the looks.
    You are mixing unrelated topics. We are talking about presentation, you are talking about implementation.

I don't care if the site uses flash/JS/Java/HTML5 if the results are presented in a clear and consistent way. Every Phoronix benchmark article with more than 2 items tested (be it CPUs, GPUs or anything else) takes much more work and concentration to get something usefull from the results presented than almost any other site I frequent (xbitlabs, anandtech, tomshardware ...).

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Only if there's enough premium interest in doing so, since I would need to make the csgo test profile Windows compatible.
    I think this would benefit your site more than "enough premium interest". What is the point of comparing FPS under Linux if we don't know the "best" performance (or the performance it should be) with the same hardware on the primary development system Windows. So we never know if the game is optimized enough or if the drivers are good enough.

This way, if something is bad, attention can be created for developers to check what is wrong (game or driver side).

It is not everytime so obvious as The Witcher 2 if you can improve further.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    If you don't want to handle the library stuff maybe this way would work for you (this seems to work reliable here):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Start the games
    steam -silent -applaunch 730 -game csgo +con_logfile logfile.log +cl_showfps 1 +timedemoquit pts-csgo-1 -novid -fullscreen &

# Wait for the game to actually start
    until gamepid=$(pidof -s csgo_linux)
    do
        # Maybe some timeout handling here?
        sleep 1
    done

# Wait for the game to finish
    while [[ ( -d /proc/$gamepid ) && ( -z `grep zombie /proc/$gamepid/status` ) ]]; do
        # Maybe some timeout handling here?
        sleep 1
    done

# Close steam
    steam -shutdown
    PS: 6348 frames 96,504 seconds 65,78 fps (15,20 ms/f) 17,903 fps variability with r600g

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by droste View Post
    I don't think there's another way than calling the game directly.
    But there's also no reason to start steam to get the game running, because all the game needs is the correct library paths set (that's what steam.sh is doing).

Downloading CS:GO right now to test this, but I think you have it set up correctly.
    Do you have any problems with this way of starting the game? I am able to start all steam games this way without having additional issues.
    With the current way (of all the environment variable hell), with some driver configurations there's issues in launching the games. It worked fine yesterday launching the open Radeon driver via Steam, then doing all the closed-source driver benchmarking via PTS (after tracing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and related environ of the game's process) while today when using the open-source driver it fails in the configuration tested for the closed-source NVIDIA/AMD drivers. It's rather finicky and it's been largely that way with the other games too -- wish there was some proper guidance to what directories Valve expicititly wants included, but up to now they've basically told me to do whatever Steam does.

With your way of steam.sh, I think I'd have issues with the process exiting unless Valve changed something recently...

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    I don't think there's another way than calling the game directly.
    But there's also no reason to start steam to get the game running, because all the game needs is the correct library paths set (that's what steam.sh is doing).

Downloading CS:GO right now to test this, but I think you have it set up correctly.
    Do you have any problems with this way of starting the game? I am able to start all steam games this way without having additional issues.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by droste View Post
    Not sure what you tried already, but this is what I'm doing when I setup the steam runtime manually (you obviously have to adjust $mySTEAM_ROOT):

Code:
    mySTEAM_ROOT="/multimedia/Games/Steam"
    mySTEAM_PATH="$mySTEAM_ROOT/ubuntu12_32"
    mySTEAM_RUNTIME="$mySTEAM_PATH/steam-runtime"

origLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    origPATH=$PATH

export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH;/lib;/lib64;$mySTEAM_PATH;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib"
    export PATH="$PATH;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/bin;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/sbin"

$mySTEAM_ROOT/steam.sh $*

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$origLD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export PATH=$origPATH
    You can see the raw test profile @ http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...0c4e84bc520325

When calling steam.sh, does it work for passing e.g. -game csgo +con_logfile \$LOG_FILE +cl_showfps 1 +timedemoquit pts-csgo-1 -novid -fullscreen and it returning correctly? With my past tests when calling steam.sh/steam it would leave the process active afterwards (or other issues) and thus having to call csgo_linux, tf2_linux, etc directly.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's not due to that I believe, if you checkout the PTS test profile script, there's a heck of a lot of manual LD_LIBRARY_PATH loading that you need to do if trying to launch the game directly outside of Steam.... if you just try to do ./csgo_linux it will fail or if just adding bin/ It's that way with all Steam games I've tried :/
    Not sure what you tried already, but this is what I'm doing when I setup the steam runtime manually (you obviously have to adjust $mySTEAM_ROOT):

Code:
    mySTEAM_ROOT="/multimedia/Games/Steam"
    mySTEAM_PATH="$mySTEAM_ROOT/ubuntu12_32"
    mySTEAM_RUNTIME="$mySTEAM_PATH/steam-runtime"

origLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    origPATH=$PATH

export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH;/lib;/lib64;$mySTEAM_PATH;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib"
    export PATH="$PATH;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/bin;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/sbin"

$mySTEAM_ROOT/steam.sh $*

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$origLD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export PATH=$origPATH

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Really? On my system (HD 7950) radeonsi is on par with Catalyst: http://www.linuxsystems.it/2014/09/c...-par-catalyst/
    Why your results is so low with fglrx? It is 65% of what Michael got here.

edit: ah maybe older 3.14 kernel and older xserver used and older fglrx used

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    CS:GO seems to ship its own libgcc_s.so and libstdc++.so so removing them allows the game to start.

NOTE: you dont' have to remove the ones in the steam runtime but the libs shipped by CS GO!
    It's not due to that I believe, if you checkout the PTS test profile script, there's a heck of a lot of manual LD_LIBRARY_PATH loading that you need to do if trying to launch the game directly outside of Steam.... if you just try to do ./csgo_linux it will fail or if just adding bin/ It's that way with all Steam games I've tried :/

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Someone really need to fix that bug in mesa , it does not appear with blob drivers and no with intel one it seems, only gallium drivers
    Last edited by dungeon; 23 September 2014, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X