X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by Valve
    We expect performance with the AMD driver will go up when they release an updated driver that has an application profile for CS:GO to enable multi-threading on the driver side.

We are working on the stuttering issue when multicore rendering is enabled and will update the bug when we know more.
    Source: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Cou...mment-57030754

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    I think this would benefit your site more than "enough premium interest". What is the point of comparing FPS under Linux if we don't know the "best" performance (or the performance it should be) with the same hardware on the primary development system Windows. So we never know if the game is optimized enough or if the drivers are good enough.

This way, if something is bad, attention can be created for developers to check what is wrong (game or driver side).

It is not everytime so obvious as The Witcher 2 if you can improve further.

Thanks
    I'd like him to keep doing what he's doing.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by juliom View Post
    I was VERY surprised to have it running so good on my Radeon 5870, using Catalyst 14.6. Need to disable AA, it's a real performance killer, but other than that it runs smooth as butter, around 90-100 fps (V-Sync disabled) and absolutely no rendering errors. Too bad the launch is a mess and the Linux version is full of bugs and you need workarounds to play anything at all. But hey, it's CS GO on Linux and it works
    Many big issues that needed the locale workaround etc. have been fixed last night. You can remove that workaround now.

Leave a comment:

• juliom
    replied
    I was VERY surprised to have it running so good on my Radeon 5870, using Catalyst 14.6. Need to disable AA, it's a real performance killer, but other than that it runs smooth as butter, around 90-100 fps (V-Sync disabled) and absolutely no rendering errors. Too bad the launch is a mess and the Linux version is full of bugs and you need workarounds to play anything at all. But hey, it's CS GO on Linux and it works

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Hm not just for Ubuntu, that one is also packaged for Debian week ago, i tought Gentoo already took it... it works with kernel 3.17 without patching too .
    Nope: http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...Linux%20x86_64

Ubuntu only for now (Ubuntu ~= Debian).

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Michael used fglrx 14.20.7 while I used 13.20.16 (Catalyst 14.6 beta2). I cannot use his version because it is available only for Ubuntu. Kernel and xorg server have no influence on Catalyst performance.
    Hm not just for Ubuntu, that one is also packaged for Debian week ago, i tought Gentoo already took it... it works with kernel 3.17 without patching too .

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It is not a bug. It's a result of the open drivers being economical, and the blobs linking those libs statically, taking up space needlessly.
    Nice story about economics, tell Michael how to save time in trying to make enviroment which works for steam... Anyway, are you sure blobs even uses gcc

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    You are mixing unrelated topics. We are talking about presentation, you are talking about implementation.

I don't care if the site uses flash/JS/Java/HTML5 if the results are presented in a clear and consistent way. Every Phoronix benchmark article with more than 2 items tested (be it CPUs, GPUs or anything else) takes much more work and concentration to get something usefull from the results presented than almost any other site I frequent (xbitlabs, anandtech, tomshardware ...).
    No, they are not unrelated. Implementation very much affects usability.

If it's Flash or Java, you get huge loading pauses, and huge cpu usage; or can't view the content at all. Thus directly reduced usability.

JS overuse hogging cpu likewise reduces usability.

Usability includes things like loading speed, and if the scrolling is smooth once loaded. Presentation prettiness is only a part of it.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Someone really need to fix that bug in mesa , it does not appear with blob drivers and no with intel one it seems, only gallium drivers
    It is not a bug. It's a result of the open drivers being economical, and the blobs linking those libs statically, taking up space needlessly.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Why your results is so low with fglrx? It is 65% of what Michael got here.

edit: ah maybe older 3.14 kernel and older xserver used and older fglrx used
    Michael used fglrx 14.20.7 while I used 13.20.16 (Catalyst 14.6 beta2). I cannot use his version because it is available only for Ubuntu. Kernel and xorg server have no influence on Catalyst performance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X