Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Graphics Performance With Unvanquished

Phoronix: Open-Source Graphics Performance With Unvanquished

Unvanquished remains one of the most advanced open-source, cross-platform games available that comes free with an advanced OpenGL 3 renderer. For those curious how it performs for Intel and AMD Radeon graphics on Ubuntu Linux, here's a number of benchmarks using the latest release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know im being dumb but i can never get this to work on Linux Mint 15 or 16. I tried the deb's but no, I tried the wget's but no.. I tried various versions but no. Then i tried to compile but no. The PPA didnt work either.

This was a few weeks ago the last time I tried to be fair.

Can someone post how to install this and have it working on Linux Mint 16 with a 3.13.8 Kernal easily or its not worth the effort.

Comment

Michael, you printed the High graph twice. I assume the second was supposed to be the frame times.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
        I know im being dumb but i can never get this to work on Linux Mint 15 or 16. I tried the deb's but no, I tried the wget's but no.. I tried various versions but no. Then i tried to compile but no. The PPA didnt work either.

This was a few weeks ago the last time I tried to be fair.

Can someone post how to install this and have it working on Linux Mint 16 with a 3.13.8 Kernal easily or its not worth the effort.
        Have you updated your Mesa? Especially, have you compiled it with --enable-texture-float, so that you actually have OpenGL 3 support?

Comment

Unvanquished developer here. Thanks again for covering the game in your articles Michael!

I noticed that the ultra preset uses a bugged real time shadow mode that creates visual artifacts in the latest release, but it should still be performing well for benchmarking.

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
          The easiest way to get Unvanquished to work on 64 bit linux would be downloading the portable zip. If you ran the benchmark, you can find it at ~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/pts/unvanquished-1.5.0/unvanquished-0.26.0-universal.zip. (You can also get it via torrent or sourceforge.) If this gives you any errors, feel free to post the console output in the troubleshooting section of our forums or talk to us on IRC (#unvanquished on Freenode) and we might be able to help you or tell what's wrong. If you're on 32 bit your options are the debian packages and compiling from source. Be aware that we're in Alpha stage and sometimes a release will just not work for everyone. If you tested a few weeks ago your issues might be fixed now, since the latest release is only two days old.

Comment

Why does it feel like your benchmarks have serious issues? I have compositing enabled, and in any benchmark, with an equivalent card and driver, I get much higher FPS with always smooth games.

Comment

so the best card at the moment is an HD6870. anything better (like a 6950, 7850 and newer) has worse performance ....

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Why does it feel like your benchmarks have serious issues? I have compositing enabled, and in any benchmark, with an equivalent card and driver, I get much higher FPS with always smooth games.
                Which hardware do you have? If it is intel maybe this can explained things Intel Haswell Might Have Regressed Hard On Linux

Comment

I thought radeonSI was near feature parity with r600. Isn't Ubuntu 14.04 shipping with backports for the llvm 3.5 patches to get GLSL 3.3 on radeonSI so it runs at GL 3.3? If so, these results are abysmal considering the drivers been in development for over two years. One fourth the performance of outdated lower powered hardware?

Something has to be wrong, because Xonotic has similar performance requirements on its ultra presets, but my 7870 can do 30 - 40 fps at 1080p with that. I'm DLing Unvanquished 26 now to see how it runs under PTS.
                  Last edited by zanny; 08 April 2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

You didn't mention the 290 in the tests, how is it working with the FOSS driver nowadays? I just placed an order for one, so I hope it at least starts
                    Otherwise I'll have to run Catalyst for the time being!

Comment

Working...
                    X