Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • phoronix
    started a topic AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

    AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

    Phoronix: AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

    Last week marked the release of a new AMD Catalyst Linux driver beta that was intended to improve the AMD Radeon OpenGL performance. AMD said this updated closed-source Linux graphics driver would bring "significant performance improvements" for Valve's recently ported Left 4 Dead 2 Linux game. Curious about AMD Linux OpenGL performance improvements elsewhere, I ran some benchmarks of this new driver on several different graphics cards. Unfortunately, the performance improvements aren't too widespread and there's other problems making this beta driver not appealing.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18165

  • scjet
    replied
    It works great on my K75DE -stop wineing.

    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    If you read phoronix long enough you know that sometimes there are articles that compare the current fglrx vs older ones. And it is happening. fglrx has improved very much in contrast to one or even two years ago. You don't see it much because the change is gradual and I think we humans very readily accept the status quo to be the reference point...

    Sure, they still have to improve quite a bit, but your implication that it never gets better is not what we see. You can complain that the improvements are not coming along fast enough.
    Thankyou, I agree with ChrisXY:

    ...and Yes, amd/ati used to suck, I know cause the last time I tried them a year ago, they were crap.
    This time, I decided to give it another try, like I had a choice?, on my spanking new Asus K75DE Notebook (AMD Fusion A10-4600M / AMD Radeon HD 7670M)
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-WTFRENDER74

    why ?
    -simply because for even any semi-serious 3D/Gaming "Nvidia Optimus / IntelHD" is just plain caca on any notebook for LINUX these days !

    Seriously, my good old Dell M90 Laptop finally bit the dust, and since I did NOT want to jump into the "Nvidia Optimess Hamster Wheel", (or playing around with stUMBLEBEE), I smartly decided to swing over to a new (and surprisingly cheap), AMD Fusion notebook. I admit though, that since I mostly use Linux, I was a little leary that I might end up with a $700 (cdn) book-end.

    So, that said, I'm very happy with amd's latest Catalyst, running UbuntuStudio 12.10-amd64, and (latest)Arch-x86_64 with latest catalyst drivers.
    I initially thought I would be stuck with Windows 8 (YUK!), and a "VESA" Linux only, on this new puppy.
    But nope, was I ever wrong, everything, and I do mean "everything" works great, OOB, for me.
    Finally, the (latest) Catalyst is a welcome upgrade/update to the "xf86-video-ati".
    Maybe it's because I haven't touched an amd/ati product in over a year, but now, I see a GRAND improvement.

    I just hope and pray that AMD keeps it up, and better, ..., for Linux.

    ... Nvidia xxxm what ?, Optimess who?, in Linux ???!!! -wtf is that in a notebook these days. ? -Lol.

    Now, I'm off to experiment with some other Linux Distro's, on this "AMD Fusion" notebook.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by scjet; 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • dimko
    replied
    haters

    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    If you read phoronix long enough you know that sometimes there are articles that compare the current fglrx vs older ones. And it is happening. fglrx has improved very much in contrast to one or even two years ago. You don't see it much because the change is gradual and I think we humans very readily accept the status quo to be the reference point...

    Sure, they still have to improve quite a bit, but your implication that it never gets better is not what we see. You can complain that the improvements are not coming along fast enough.
    Will hate.

    Some people can't be satisfied.

    Leave a comment:


  • tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by brvnbld View Post
    why would anyone play any game in Linux at all???
    They see me trollin, They hatin, Patrolling...

    Leave a comment:


  • Bet2ty
    replied
    I guess is because the hybrid graphics with an unsupported product.


    Leave a comment:


  • Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by brvnbld View Post
    why would anyone play any game in Linux at all???
    Because they want to play games and they do not use Windows?

    Leave a comment:


  • brvnbld
    replied
    why would anyone play any game in Linux at all???

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

    Last week marked the release of a new AMD Catalyst Linux driver beta that was intended to improve the AMD Radeon OpenGL performance. AMD said this updated closed-source Linux graphics driver would bring "significant performance improvements" for Valve's recently ported Left 4 Dead 2 Linux game. Curious about AMD Linux OpenGL performance improvements elsewhere, I ran some benchmarks of this new driver on several different graphics cards. Unfortunately, the performance improvements aren't too widespread and there's other problems making this beta driver not appealing.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18165
    why would anyone play any game in Linux at all???

    Leave a comment:


  • curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Maybe it is fine for you because you want to support your power company. If you want to save power you still have to use binary drivers. Especially when your card is able to run games you pay the price for higher energy consumption. Some laptops get even so hot that using oss radeon drivers is a real pain.
    The TDP of my card is 19W. With perfect power-saving, it'd average maybe half that. Gosh, 9.5W savings per usage-hour - that's like 1 euro in 65 days

    Actually on second thought, I want that one euro per every other month. AMD, get the improved PM code out already.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Maybe it is fine for you because you want to support your power company. If you want to save power you still have to use binary drivers. Especially when your card is able to run games you pay the price for higher energy consumption. Some laptops get even so hot that using oss radeon drivers is a real pain.
    The static powersave modes actually work fairly well for me, giving me a lower temperature than Catalyst does on low, and only temperatures of about 60 degrees during the hottest of summer days on high (usually more like 56). Can they be improved though? Sure. But it is good enough for me.

    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    And of couse nvidia fully drops support for older hardware as fast as amd does. Well in theory intel would be the best choice, for laptops it might be the least problematic one. Hopefully intel really fixes tearing with snb+ chips soon.
    Intel may be your best bet for laptops, yes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    If you read phoronix long enough you know that sometimes there are articles that compare the current fglrx vs older ones. And it is happening. fglrx has improved very much in contrast to one or even two years ago. You don't see it much because the change is gradual and I think we humans very readily accept the status quo to be the reference point...

    Sure, they still have to improve quite a bit, but your implication that it never gets better is not what we see. You can complain that the improvements are not coming along fast enough.
    Well AMD is loosing me as an custummer.

    Claiming you support suse, and then I cant even use fire fox normal.
    new catalist same shit and again. Two weeks ago I tried again, suse 12.2 this time, and it worked, but by now my graphiocs card, is gaming wise already old.

    hd 5750,after releasing this hardware they needed more then a year, to deliver a normal working driver
    I am very disappointed in AMD on Linux

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X