No announcement yet.

The Truth About ATI/AMD & Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to play the devils advocate, Nvidia also uses .Net for their Windows control panel. You dont need to install .Net to install the ATI drivers though, it is only required for the control panel. As for steam and the free games offer is definetly not adware. I actually like steam for the most part because despite being DRM software it still respects your rights of purchase and doesnt nag you anywhere near as much as other solutions.

Comment

• If you want to complain about frameworks, AMDCCCLE uses Qt. It should have gone with GTK
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
        Just to play the devils advocate, Nvidia also uses .Net for their Windows control panel. You dont need to install .Net to install the ATI drivers though, it is only required for the control panel. As for steam and the free games offer is definetly not adware. I actually like steam for the most part because despite being DRM software it still respects your rights of purchase and doesnt nag you anywhere near as much as other solutions.
        Are you sure? The full nVidia driver with control panel runs just fine here without MS .Net.

Comment

• QT/KDE > GTK/Gnome

The AMD Windows driver let's you chose to not install Steam.

Comment

• QT/KDE > GTK/Gnome
            i'm not going to get into this.

but i'll agree that qt is better, since has more developers taking care of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
              If you want to complain about frameworks, AMDCCCLE uses Qt. It should have gone with GTK
              You are joking right? Please tell me you are. About going with GTK that is.

Comment

• general hardware news sites report AMD's move

FYI: The news about AMD's move has reached the hardware review site Anandtech.

AMD's New Gambit: Open Source Video Drivers

Comment

• When did Anandtech get serious about Linux... at all? I remember back a few years they had a few articles, a few benchmarks, but nothing too fancy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    When did Anandtech get serious about Linux... at all? I remember back a few years they had a few articles, a few benchmarks, but nothing too fancy...
                    They aren't serious about Linux... Their last Linux article aside from that AMD article was back in the first half of 2005.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Figured as much, thanks for reassuring me, Michael.

Comment

Working...
                      X