Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new graphics card... Advice?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Radeon HD 2400 card.

Recently upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04. As usual after an Ubuntu upgrade, my graphics are a complete mess. In the past I have always been able to fix the problem by downloading and installing the latest drivers from AMD. I have done the same this time but still no joy. No 3D visual effects and everything is very slow (esp. scrolling).

As there doesn't seem to be any solution to this, can anyone recommend a card which is likely to be compatible? I don't have a massive budget

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

There's no reason for the current card not to work. Did you reboot after doing a complete uninstall, and did you run aticonfig --initial after installing the new driver ?

Note that there are two variants of the uninstall process depending on Xorg version (same command but run in different folder), covered in the install instructions.
    Test signature

Comment

Also, when installing 10.04, was it a fresh install or an upgrade ? You can sometimes save a lot of pain by uninstalling the driver before doing an automatic upgrade.

Did you have the proprietary driver installed before, and if so which version and was it installed via packaging manager or "native" install (downloading and installing yourself without building packages) ?
      Test signature

Comment

What is Your budget??

Comment

@bridgman

Basically that card might run better without fglrx for compiz. The problem is that when you executed the ati installer on lucid you will get a hard time to get rid of it. It is possible to install fglrx drivers with my script but switching to oss later is still problematic. The original ati install should better detect lucid or newer and stop with a hint to create deb packages - everything else will result in currupted installs with no correct uninstall possible (or at least very tricky). Especially the ldconfig switching does not make it more easy...

@redjam13

If you want just a video playback card get a simple nv 210. If you want to be be a gamer you might want to save your money for a gtx 460. Stay far away from ati if you want to use binary drivers. Other way: do a clean install, maybe even maverick if you like gnome that much and do NOT install any binary (currently not possible anyway).

Comment

Dear all,

Thanks very much for your replies

I looked at the ATI Linux Wiki and saw this:

NOTE: If you enter your card information on AMD/ATI's driver page, it will offer you the Catalyst 9-3 driver to download. However, the Catalyst 9-3 driver doesn't support X servers past 1.5, and it will not work with Lucid! !!!SO BE CAREFUL!!! If you tried to install Catalyst on a system with one of these cards, see the 'Removing the Driver' section to restore the default/pre-installed drivers.
            ( http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx )

Followed the removal/installation instructions it is now working! Can't believe I forgot to check there before! Oops :\

I may end up changing the card anyway as it seems pretty temperamental...

Cheers again for your advice.

Comment

Glad to hear it's working.

FYI the message about catalyst 9-3 is for graphics cards before the HD2400, basically anything up to X1950 and HD2300. You should be able to use the latest drivers.

The wiki page is funny, in the sense that the text you quoted is in a big red box but the qualifier for that text is not highlighted :

Which cards do ATI no longer support? The ATI Radeon 9500-9800, Xpress200-1250, 690G, 740G, X300-X2500 (including Mobility RadeonHD 2300, since it is really a DirectX 9 part). See the complete list here. If your card is on that list, you are limited to open-source drivers on Ubuntu Lucid. If you really need the proprietary Catalyst/fglrx driver, you will have to use an older Linux distribution, such as Debian Lenny/5.0.x or Ubuntu Hardy/8.04.x.
              Did you end up installing 9.3 or something later ? I'm guessing something later or it would not have worked with Lucid...
              Test signature

Comment

Ah, OK.

Oh yeah, I should have said it was 10.7, which I think is the latest.

Perhaps the removal process helped matters as well.

Comment

Working...
                X