ATI support poor or just slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    yes. if you only care about here and now you are always wrong in the future.
    If you only care about the future you're always wrong in the here and now.

couldn't resist.

Comment

he talks about an non-OpenGL4 card is a good idear for linux.

and i think no its stupid !
      GTX-460, 470 and 480 are GL4 cards but.

a GTX480 can only handle more triangles on 1 pixel than a 5870 on low resolutions.

if you use the max resolution a GTX480 can also only handle 1 triangle per 32pixels.

means its a 100% fake Benchmark feature for people with small monitors.
      Well at 1920x1200 even the GTX-470 beats a 5870 in the Unigine demo as far as Tessellation is concerned.

Comment

CUDA? is this the outdated and not any-longer supported openCL version of intel+amd+via ?
        No it's the CUDA that people are actively using to perform workloads today.

the excellent raw floating point do care: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=77
        That refers to OpenCL not CUDA.

Also depending on what tests you're running it seems sometimes even nVidia's older arch beats a 5870.

To speak only of that post you refer to they don't mention Fermi.

Comment

That article mentions how well a 460 is likely to overclock and that's a good thing. They also directly mention memory throughput.

But it doesn't seem to mention either CUDA or OpenCL performance.

Comment

From my experience, Ati still provide a very poor support for their drivers.
            I have a dualmonitor configuration and I'm going to sell my radeon 4770 to get a nvidia gt240.
            I have problems with every OS.
            With Windows 7 i have a really annoying bug, that lead sometimes to a "multiplied" mouse icon. This bug annoys me since I bought the card 10 months ago. It's unbelievable amd never fix a so important bug.
            With Ubuntu 10.04, I can't get teh right dual monitor configuration (it's difficult to explain, but to move my mouse from one monitor to the other I have to move it in the opposite direction. Swicthing monitor doesn't really solve the problem, because then I would have the application bar in the wrong monitor).
            Catalyst 10.6 seems to break my desktop, and one of them get black.
            I reinstalled several times during this year thinking the problem was something wrong with the installation, tested the hardware. Wasted so much time.
            And many problems with Wine.
            The OS drivers works fine, but then I would have poor 3d performance.
            So I don't see the point then to use a discrete vga in place of an integrated one.
            I'll wait at least one year before to consider buying another AMD vga again.

Comment

Your Ubuntu issues don't sound like driver problems, just desktop configuration. Not sure about the Windows problem.
              Test signature

Comment

I tested a HD 5670 with Unigine Heaven - the only OpenGL 4 based engine available for Linux+Win. Yes it is possible to see the effects, but NOBODY would use it for playing a game based on that engine because it is slow as hell! Of course you can test it even on cheaper cards but that's only a slideshow. Btw. the DX11 codepath was a bit faster then OpenGL.

All your ebay things have absolutely no accelleration on Linux. So you would buy just crap, but that's normal for you. When you need a card for video accelleration then ati based cards are an impossible solution. Better try to play hd content with high bitrates - oh you can't get those as you would need something your weird mind is not allowing you to use.

Also no consumer wants high prices, it's just that nvidia dx11/opengl4 cards are rare compared to those from ati. But maybe ati cards will get more expensive later too when nvidia is preferred by tsmc now and globalfoundries does not produce ati chips yet. Till xmas there will be most likely also lowend fermi cards, that that anybody could use em for playing dx11 games

Comment

yes sure 200?+ yes if you don't want spend so much money you should buy a hd5550 2gb vram for 80?
                  Not if a HD5550 wont do what you want it to do.

LOL fake! 1920X1200 is the MAX resolution for the 1 triangle per pixel feature on the nvidia Fermi!!!!!!

if you try 2560x1600 pixels the Fermi can't handle more triangles than AMD!

if you compare a gtx480 to an hd5870 you just need a 2560x1600 pixel monitor or higher and the AMD card is a Clear winner!

thats because amd do have much more texture Fillrate 68GT/s!
                  Interestingly the benchmarks for Unigine Heaven demo with tessellation at 2560x1600 show a GTX-470 is faster than a HD5870 and the GTX-470 is a less expensive card around here. It would seem that the HD5870 isn't actually the clear winner at all.

Comment

He believes lots of vram makes a slow card fast, just one of his faulty assumptions. You need a fast chip to make use of lots of vram otherwise it is just usefull for marketing to sell cheap pcs with lots of vram on the card - as normal buyers just have got no idea what makes a good gfx card. He is blended by marketing what would you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      He believes lots of vram makes a slow card fast.....
                      He's making the mistake of assuming there's one brand to rule them all.

While ATI is the clear best choice for some situations it's not the best for others and he doesn't seem to be prepared to acknowledge that. He's going to find many wanting to take issue with his one sided and closed minded views.

I hope that he doesn't think he's helping ATI's reputation by "selling" ATI as the best option no matter what the requirements, even where nVidia is a better fit. At best he looks one-eyed and at worst he may convince a noob to buy an inappropriate card which leads to frustration and a lessor view of the ATI brand and have them ending up with a long term aversion to buying ATI hardware.

Whether it's an ATI card or an nVidia card that's the best fit for a certain use, when recommending hardware you should always recommend what's best for the buyer. It works out best in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                      X