Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hephasteus
    replied
    My link got hosed. Here's the wiki on purevideo.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It's kinda hard to implement robust DRM on a PC with an open source kernel, at least with today's technology, and you need robust DRM for an ACSS license.

Most of the differences are on the presentation side; lite uses GL for rendering, original uses a proprietary API. The other differences are secret, naturally

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    A number of BluRay players run Linux internally... other markets too but you get the idea.
    So BluRay playback is being held out against us? Not nice :P

Really though, what is essentially the difference between the whole XvBA and XvBA-lite?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    A number of BluRay players run Linux internally... other markets too but you get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    It was intended primarily for secure embedded applications and the API was not designed to be safe for public release.

We implemented an "XvBA-Lite" variant more recently which hopefully should be OK for public release - that's what gbeauche's posted VA-API adapter uses.
    Secure embedded applications? Not safe for public release? I am stumped on this...

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It was intended primarily for secure embedded applications and the API was not designed to be safe for public release.

We implemented an "XvBA-Lite" variant more recently which hopefully should be OK for public release - that's what gbeauche's posted VA-API adapter uses.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Actually it's a lot simpler than that - XvBA had already been spec'ed, implemented and early versions were being given to ISVs before VDPAU was announced.

The APIs try to be agnostic in terms of hardware but once you have an implementation they are certainly not agnostic to your implementation.
    Why wasn't the specs given to the public, as well as the ISVs?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by IsawSparks View Post
    If it's so agnostic why didn't AMD use it and not opt to create XvBA?

Oh wait, I know, because it isn't agnostic and neither is XvBA.

All of the this agnosticism is just a matter of keeping the OPEN SOURCE idealogy in focus, it has nothing whatsoever to do with function.
    Actually it's a lot simpler than that - XvBA had already been spec'ed, implemented and early versions were being given to ISVs before VDPAU was announced.

The APIs try to be agnostic in terms of hardware but once you have an implementation they are certainly not agnostic to your implementation.

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
    VDPAU Requires PureVideo 2 (or above) compliant hardware, present on GeForce 8+.

The 8800GTS and 8800GTX first generation models could NOT play back VC-1/wmv3 because they only had PureVideo 2 hardware, even though their shader / stream processor architecture is identical to the later models.

Purevideo 2 is fairly useless. Purevideo 3 is useless to me because I always stretch videos outside of what they can decode at anyway. They are nickle and dimeing this decode stuff to death. Which is why I said forget about all the earlier ones and just impliment the latest ones.
    VP1's a waste. VP2 cards are bumpcracking themselves into oblivion.
    VP3 cards are so underpowered they run full steam decoding this junk anyway. And VP4 cards are all done on pain in the butt process size 40nm and having a hard time getting market share.

Leave a comment:

• IsawSparks
    replied
    Two 1080P streams of what though? Of low bitrate HDTV rips? 40Mbit fullrate profile 4.1 and higher streams?

Sincerely, I'm finding all of this 'my CPU can do it just as well as your GPU' malarkey so tiresome. It's irrelevant to the conversation and basically filled with holes as an argument.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X