Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gbeauche
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Since I talk to all those companies on the driver side, I pretty much know the actual limitations of this. This is why I wrote, roughly, that you can try but they won't guarantee the real-time constraints of 2 HD streams decoding. You will have to check the actual specs of the HW. The same applies to SW decoding you know, you can throw several files to your CPU at once, but you can't guarantee real-time constraints. e.g. as defined by the h264 specs.

That could be possible with higher end GPUs, with plenty of memory too depending on the clips, though my primary targets were IGPs.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Wow I thought this was some kind of joke. But then I follow the link and apparently it's for real. This is exactly why I will never buy an Apple product myself. But I can see why Apple can get away with it. They are very good at marketing and many people buy their products just as a status symbol.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    "
    lies? can you point this out?

or is this just a Nvidia fan-boy reaction ?
    Did we already forget about your claim of Apple paying Steam off of linux? There are many others (just look at pretty much every thread you have commented on in these forums) but really your just not worth the effort of a forum search.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    well nice.. :-) but yes i hate your company!
    I hate your babbling and lies so I guess we are even.

PS I haven't worked there for about 2 years now.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Maybe this is more your speed Qaridariim

Welcome to the official site for Tinker Bell and all her Disney Fairies friends! Here you can stream movies, watch videos, read character bios, and more.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    apple=DRM=EVIL
    *sigh* a typical Qaridarium response of no value what so ever. That's OK we understand you were an abused child.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    HOW MANY VIDEOS can you watch at a time?
    Right. One's plenty!
    Did you ever think about usage during editing of HD media? Not to mention in a HTPC many of them do recording at the same time and utilizing the GPU for decoding during playback frees up the CPU for it's encoding endeavors. Is it a common use? No, but the need is there never the less.

That is an ADVANTAGE not a disadvantage.
    It means that the decoded output is AVAILABLE and not stuck in a proprietary mess.
    Actually with vdpau the decoded output can be copied from memory. That is one feature of vdpau (at least nvidia's implementation of it) but nobody as of yet has taken advantage of it.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
    Actually, neither ATI nor NVIDIA can do dual HD streams decoding.
    *cough* http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...33&postcount=4 *cough*

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Same codecs. It's just the API that's changing.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It's kinda hard to implement robust DRM on a PC with an open source kernel, at least with today's technology, and you need robust DRM for an ACSS license.

Most of the differences are on the presentation side; lite uses GL for rendering, original uses a proprietary API. The other differences are secret, naturally
    My main concern is what codecs are supported. If it is all the same (for the most part) except the API, I don't really care. I would love to see more video codecs supported (particularly Mpeg 4 part 2 AKA Xvid.) Although... Being able to decode html5 videos would be pretty cool as well... HINT HINT. Unfortunately my library of movies I have ripped off of DVD is all in Xvid (using the classic profile on Handbrake.) However, recently I have started using H.264 (normal profile in Handbrake.) It isn't that they really need to be decoded on the GPU, because the CPU handles them with no problem, but it would be nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X