Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    The profiles are for encoding silly, not decoding. All the decoder has to do is play the file. Essentially, when a decoder is said to work up to a certain profile, it means it is limited by bitrate beyond that, not that it can't do the postprocessing. Even with what you are talking about, postprocessing is optional.

BTW, please don't argue with Bridgman's conclusion. He works at ATI and knows far more about the topic than both of us.
    This is from the article you quoted.

"As the term is used in the standard, a "level" is a specified set of constraints indicating a degree of required decoder performance for a profile. For example, a level of support within a profile will specify the maximum picture resolution, frame rate, and bit rate that a decoder may be capable of using. A decoder that conforms to a given level is required to be capable of decoding all bitstreams that are encoded for that level and for all lower levels."

I stress it has to do with the maximum picture resolution, frame rate, and bit rate that a decoder may be capable of using. The options part is for the encoder only. Please, actually read something before you reference it.

Comment

The profiles are for encoding silly, not decoding. All the decoder has to do is play the file. Essentially, when a decoder is said to work up to a certain profile, it means it is limited by bitrate beyond that, not that it can't do the postprocessing. Even with what you are talking about, postprocessing is optional.

BTW, please don't argue with Bridgman's conclusion. He works at ATI and knows far more about the topic than both of us.

I'm only arguing with you and he said we were both right. Look up how the profiles are used in Bluray certified players and stop trying to come off like an expert when you're YET ANOTHER ATI defense force idiot.

ATI's drivers will not improve if people like you keep saying that you don't need features like hardware decoding support. It's your attitude and those who share your attitude which is holding back the ability of ATI to deliver a fully fledged binary driver. This, in turn, holds back the OSS driver too because research in one area is shared with the other in terms of documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by IsawSparks View Post
        I'm only arguing with you and he said we were both right. Look up how the profiles are used in Bluray certified players and stop trying to come off like an expert when you're YET ANOTHER ATI defense force idiot.

ATI's drivers will not improve if people like you keep saying that you don't need features like hardware decoding support. It's your attitude and those who share your attitude which is holding back the ability of ATI to deliver a fully fledged binary driver. This, in turn, holds back the OSS driver too because research in one area is shared with the other in terms of documentation.
        See above. My second post.

Comment

See above. My second post.
          *sigh*

OK, you win (only you don't).

I know what the profiles are for, do you know how they appy to players (hardware and software). Do you know HDMI certification is in effect? No, it's not only to prevent piracy. It's also so motion compensantion in playback devices is guaranteed.

Oh whatever. This is like talking to a brick wall. A brick wall made of ATI apologists.

Comment

*sigh*

OK, you win (only you don't).

I know what the profiles are for, do you know how they appy to players (hardware and software). Do you know HDMI certification is in effect? No, it's not only to prevent piracy. It's also so motion compensantion in playback devices is guaranteed.

Oh whatever. This is like talking to a brick wall. A brick wall made of ATI apologists.
            Yet somehow you can't argue back why I am wrong and you are right on that one and you have to bring up another subject. Somehow, when I use your own evidence against you, you don't really have an argument... We aren't ATI apologists, we are just people that can check our facts first. Also, I didn't talk up ATI at all during our argument, so I don't know why you even brought it up.

Comment

Yet somehow you can't argue back why I am wrong and you are right on that one and you have to bring up another subject. Somehow, when I use your own evidence against you, you don't really have an argument... We aren't ATI apologists, we are just people that can check our facts first. Also, I didn't talk up ATI at all during our argument, so I don't know why you even brought it up.
              It's the same subject, you're just trying to defend a poor driver on a technicality you don't really understand. This discussion's title is relevant. CPU decoding of HD content is a lesser quality solution.

You are ATI apologists and when ATI finally implements HD decoder support in Linux, most of you will use it. Stats are very clear on that matter, fglrx usage FAR exceeds that of the FOSS driver.

You do know that ATI's beta driver in Windows has support for higher rated profiles than Nvidia's right? There's a reason for this.

Comment

In case it helps, we're going to keep improving things anyways even if nobody is complaining
                Test signature

Comment

It's the same subject, you're just trying to defend a poor driver on a technicality you don't really understand. This discussion's title is relevant. CPU decoding of HD content is a lesser quality solution.

You are ATI apologists and when ATI finally implements HD decoder support in Linux, most of you will use it. Stats are very clear on that matter, fglrx usage FAR exceeds that of the FOSS driver.

You do know that ATI's beta driver in Windows has support for higher rated profiles than Nvidia's right? There's a reason for this.
                  "Phoronix is a site dedicated to technical analysis" remember? So yes, technicalities matter a lot.

Comment

"Phoronix is a site dedicated to technical analysis" remember? So yes, technicalities matter a lot.
                    It's a technicality you don't understand. Understanding terms, their context and their application is more important than just rote recitation. You don't win arguments on the value of the word themselves, but their meaning in context as well.

You're arguing as you think you're right when the truth is you're utterly and infallibly wrong.

You don't even bother to educate yourself on matters which have been layed in front of you. I'll say it once again, IN WINDOWS ATI NOW HAS BETTER SUPPORT FOR HD THAN NVIDIA DOES. There's a reason for this. Bigger market share, more competitive market and thusly more money at stake. Therefore ATI pushes their hardware to meet the demands of the market and to beat their competitors.

ATI doesn't do particularly well in terms of Linux prebuilt or post installation machines. Nvidia is the clear winner in the Linux market and Linux is used as a Worstation environment for many pro level workstation apps like MAYA. ATI's fglrx just doesn't have the performance or stability to support these pro level apps properly. fglrx is still very much in its infancy in many ways and its slowness to implement Xv let alone HD decoding has been a long term bugbear for ATI owners.

Xv is not enough for a proper HD experience, even with a really fast CPU because it doesn't offer enough direct control over the output renderer. Proper HD decoders do because they are not at the mercy (entirely) of the OS and GPU and its VRAM are set into specific modes of play to process HD content accurately and properly. This also includes the output device wrt HDMI content control and proper modesetting, deinterlacing and motion compensation.

With a CPU driven decoder almost all of those latter extremely important functions are purely handled by the OS and/or app of choice and most times they aren't even handled at all, just ignored or handed off to nowhere.

But hey, you can keep ignoring the reality and making smart remarks until the cows come how for all I care.

Oh and stop pretending you don't own an ATI card too. It's pathetic when someone won't even be honest about where they're (so obviously) coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      In case it helps, we're going to keep improving things anyways even if nobody is complaining
                      Of course you will, but if people don't complain or make you aware of specific stability issues and lacking performance then they aren't doing their part to help you make a better driver.

There's an awful sense of fanboyism creeping into Linux in recent and it's not helping anyone at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X