Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was intended primarily for secure embedded applications and the API was not designed to be safe for public release.

We implemented an "XvBA-Lite" variant more recently which hopefully should be OK for public release - that's what gbeauche's posted VA-API adapter uses.
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It was intended primarily for secure embedded applications and the API was not designed to be safe for public release.

We implemented an "XvBA-Lite" variant more recently which hopefully should be OK for public release - that's what gbeauche's posted VA-API adapter uses.
      Secure embedded applications? Not safe for public release? I am stumped on this...

Comment

• A number of BluRay players run Linux internally... other markets too but you get the idea.
        Test signature

Comment

A number of BluRay players run Linux internally... other markets too but you get the idea.
          So BluRay playback is being held out against us? Not nice :P

Really though, what is essentially the difference between the whole XvBA and XvBA-lite?

Comment

• It's kinda hard to implement robust DRM on a PC with an open source kernel, at least with today's technology, and you need robust DRM for an ACSS license.

Most of the differences are on the presentation side; lite uses GL for rendering, original uses a proprietary API. The other differences are secret, naturally
            Test signature

Comment

• My link got hosed. Here's the wiki on purevideo.

Comment

It's kinda hard to implement robust DRM on a PC with an open source kernel, at least with today's technology, and you need robust DRM for an ACSS license.

Most of the differences are on the presentation side; lite uses GL for rendering, original uses a proprietary API. The other differences are secret, naturally
                My main concern is what codecs are supported. If it is all the same (for the most part) except the API, I don't really care. I would love to see more video codecs supported (particularly Mpeg 4 part 2 AKA Xvid.) Although... Being able to decode html5 videos would be pretty cool as well... HINT HINT. Unfortunately my library of movies I have ripped off of DVD is all in Xvid (using the classic profile on Handbrake.) However, recently I have started using H.264 (normal profile in Handbrake.) It isn't that they really need to be decoded on the GPU, because the CPU handles them with no problem, but it would be nice.

Comment

• Same codecs. It's just the API that's changing.
                  Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                    Actually, neither ATI nor NVIDIA can do dual HD streams decoding.
                    *cough* http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...33&postcount=4 *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      HOW MANY VIDEOS can you watch at a time?
                      Right. One's plenty!
                      Did you ever think about usage during editing of HD media? Not to mention in a HTPC many of them do recording at the same time and utilizing the GPU for decoding during playback frees up the CPU for it's encoding endeavors. Is it a common use? No, but the need is there never the less.

That is an ADVANTAGE not a disadvantage.
                      It means that the decoded output is AVAILABLE and not stuck in a proprietary mess.
                      Actually with vdpau the decoded output can be copied from memory. That is one feature of vdpau (at least nvidia's implementation of it) but nobody as of yet has taken advantage of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X