ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions, I guess..

1. How do you get "over a year" ? The first Evergreen launch event was at the end of Sep 09, with first shipments in early Oct, so maybe 7 months.

2. If you want to give the illusion of being balanced, you should also research posts from users who are successfully running an Evergreen GPU and link to those as well. That won't be truly balanced, of course, since successful users are much less likely to post, but at least you won't appear as troll-ish
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      How is it trolling? I'm pointing out that the support is QUITE POOR!

I'm not really sure what's going on here. I'm running 9.04 right now and would like to install 10.04. When I try to boot from the live CD, it does boot and I see two small icons at the bottom, one looks like a keyboard and the other one looks like an accessibility icon. Anyway, if I do nothing, those icons go away and then the screen just stays black. However, once I see those icons, if I press F6, I see the normal installation options that I have seen with all the other Ubuntu CDs. I selected
      pingufunkybeat was talking about Evergreen being supported by fglrx, and here you come with a bunch of links where people are having problems with the oss drivers and Evergreen. You seem to be deliberately conflating the two.

btw How's that Fermi open source support coming. Is it working yet? If not how can you claim Fermi is supported under Linux? See, I can also play that game.

Comment

I was referring to blatantly incorrect statements with which Panix intentionally misleads people.

Fglrx is not all that great, and I hate it, but saying that there is no official support from ATi is just plain incorrect. There is support, and it works, and a bunch of people getting a black screen with open source drivers is not even relevant at all, as the open source drivers do not work with Evergreen yet. Fglrx does work, and has always worked.

He also claimed that there is no powersaving using fglrx. This sort of stuff does not help anybody, it's intentionally misleading to fuel a childish internet flamewar.

Stick to the facts, please, there are many things to complain about with fglrx without lying through your teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          2 questions, I guess..

1. How do you get "over a year" ? The first Evergreen launch event was at the end of Sep 09, with first shipments in early Oct, so maybe 7 months.

2. If you want to give the illusion of being balanced, you should also research posts from users who are successfully running an Evergreen GPU and link to those as well. That won't be truly balanced, of course, since successful users are much less likely to post, but at least you won't appear as troll-ish
          Okay, 7 months, my mistake.

I don't know what you consider 'successfully running an Evergreen GPU.' Is it successful if they're using VESA drivers? Or if X number of features work but not others?

I just thought it is not too good if you can't boot up your machine? I fail to see what else I posted that was inaccurate other than the release date. I did speculate so I should have looked up the official date. But, seven months is still a long time to have major problems with a card. I guess some people disagree but I suggest it is a long time for a number of people.

The guy who called me a liar, I'll ignore. Lying implies you know you are not telling the truth and again, I speculated based on lots of statements and experiences. I agree, many people who have things working won't post but surely, ONE OR A FEW people who do have it working would come across some of these posts to reassure people that it can work. I didn't notice too many of those. The ones who have it working didn't specify as to what works either. I don't consider posts that have people claiming 'mine works' since there's not enough information to conclude anything.

The users who 'don't have it working' gave examples of what wasn't working, what was wrong and in various cases, what they did, tried or attempted to solve the problem. Sure, some did the wrong things and other steps might have helped but that's my point. It's really complicated after seven months.

I know I sound like a Nvidia fan but I have a Nvidia card already so I know I have a backup card if I choose an ATI card to upgrade to. I am debating whether it'll be a HD 4770 or HD 5770 despite my cynical posts. Don't let the cynicism fool you. I want ATI's drivers in Linux to really improve. I think the Open Source option is a good thing and having fglrx improve is good overall since the open source driver development will probably be somewhat slow in comparison. I understand that but there needs to be a choice that 'works.'

Sorry for any inaccurate statements or conclusions. I'll try to complain more accurately in the future.

Comment

Just buy it from a store where you can give it back when you are not statisfied. I would only buy DX11/OpenGL4 capable cards.

Comment

Okay, another thread, this time in Gentoo forum:

Since the support is especially applicable to Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and Red Hat (am I accurate enough in that interpretation???), it does look promising reading through that Gentoo thread. Some people were having trouble with the fglrx driver, though.

I would like to go with a newer card (Evergreen) than the HD 4xxx series although I'm sure it would be good for support NOW. I mean, for most things working.

I could wait for improvements as long as I can still watch my movies and videos. I am curious if stuff like Flash works. Ditto GoogleEarth and??? Hmmm... resizing windows, going from min. to full screen. I don't need desktop effects like Compiz but I figure those things will need ongoing improvements for optimization anyway. I usually don't have that on anyway although my desktop is capable of that stuff easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Just buy it from a store where you can give it back when you are not statisfied. I would only buy DX11/OpenGL4 capable cards.
                Stores around here really suck, though. The selection is really thin. I wanted to get a XFX for the warranty but HD 5xxx cards are usually the Sapphire brand. I guess it's still okay although I'd probably want to go with a reference card.

Comment

Better get a solution with low noise cooling - usually reference cards are louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    The guy who called me a liar, I'll ignore. Lying implies you know you are not telling the truth and again, I speculated based on lots of statements and experiences.
                    Well, you can ignore him but I can assure you he's not the only one questioning your sincerity. But maybe lying isn't the right word here and you are just willfully ignorant. Either way the minute you started spreading FUD about fglrx power management you lost your credibility. As pingufunkybeat said there's a lot of things to not like about fglrx, but power management just ain't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      Well, you can ignore him but I can assure you he's not the only one questioning your sincerity. But maybe lying isn't the right word here and you are just willfully ignorant. Either way the minute you started spreading FUD about fglrx power management you lost your credibility. As pingufunkybeat said there's a lot of things to not like about fglrx, but power management just ain't one of them.
                      Okay.

I'll let the experts make the comments and discuss, then.

I'll just read the articles and posts for info and assessments.

I didn't think I was spreading FUD, though. I don't see how you can argue that there's a lot of ATI users in various Linux forums (both 'general Linux' and distro-specific) state various problems/issues especially regarding the most recent cards. I thought my speculation that the support is just slow was safe.

Like I said, I hope for improvements and agree with the concepts of open source.

Kano, I read that reference cards have the heat produced go out of the case while the custom cards will have it remain in the case and up to good cooling of the case determine temps. Also, I thought you are at the mercy of the design (so to speak) and the reference cards you can rely on some of the aftermarket programs to help with overclocking and fan speeds, perhaps? I haven't decided on a specific card yet so I'm open to various suggestions and advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X