ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Your 2D desktop problem is fixed in catalyst 10-6!... really ;-)

so your HD5750 will fly on 10-6!
    So what are we in for with 10.6 anyway?

Comment

• Which is usally the last wed in the month, basically they could call it 10-7 too...

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        So what are we in for with 10.6 anyway?
        Based on the above reply, I'd say they'll finally announce Direct2D as a viable feature. That would be nice, but I haven't been able to make use of it so far on openSUSE 11.2.

Comment

• Obligatory reminder - the new API is *not* Direct2D, and it's not *called* Direct2D either. We just re-used a test key left over from Direct2D development so that beta testers under NDA could experiment with the work-in-process code.

I think it's time to start seeding crazy messages into the beta program to see what gets leaked.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Obligatory reminder - the new API is *not* Direct2D, and it's not *called* Direct2D either. We just re-used a test key left over from Direct2D development so that beta testers under NDA could experiment with the work-in-process code.

I think it's time to start seeding crazy messages into the beta program to see what gets leaked.
            I wouldn't blame the beta program so much as the fact that we have to explicitly type "Direct2D" to get this 2D acceleration enabled right now. Beta testers don't get to pick the name of the key they need to enable to try out a feature.

In addition, there are numerous articles here on phoronix.com that refer to this feature as "Direct2D". I'm not a forum dweller. I have no way of knowing any different. It sure would be nice if these little tidbits could be communicated to the general public instead of just here.

Comment

• The point is that the procedure for enabling the new 2D acceleration code was *only* announced to the beta program under signed NDA, so any mention you see here or anywhere else about how to enable it came to you via leaks from the beta program.
              Test signature

Comment

• Um, strings/nm/friends?

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The point is that the procedure for enabling the new 2D acceleration code was *only* announced to the beta program under signed NDA, so any mention you see here or anywhere else about how to enable it came to you via leaks from the beta program.
                  Beta program leaks are all over the place Beta drivers, secret features, etc. This has been true for years. You should just let me be a beta tester, at least I know *I*'m trustworthy

Comment

• Agreed, but the people leaking need to understand that every leak translates into a bit less information being made available next time, and fewer developers feeling that it's safe to work directly with the beta testers.

Another fine example of the Tragedy of the Commons, I guess.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Bah, you need beta testers to end up with a quality product (ahem), and it's impossible to certify them all perfectly. The less you trust beta testers, the more they'll rebel, the fewer of them you'll have, and the worse your product's quality will get. There's a fine balance in there somewhere, and leaks are inevitable. Like I said, you should just make me a beta tester and avoid all these problems (from me at least)

So what WILL this feature be called? Undirect2D? Super2D? 2Delicious? 2Death to Leaky Beta Testers?

Comment

Working...
                      X