Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECS NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB

Phoronix: ECS NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB

A month after NVIDIA launched the GeForce GT 220 graphics card they rolled out the GeForce GT 240, to further fill the performance void between the GT216-based GT 220 and the GeForce GTS 250 that had been around since March. The $100 GeForce GT 240 has received some praise for its low-power consumption while delivering a decent level of performance for being a mid-range graphics card, but of course, those reviews have been when tested under Microsoft Windows. We finally have our hands on a GeForce GT 240 graphics card from the folks over at ECS Elitegroup to see how this GT215 graphics card performs under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why Phoronix shies away from publishing reviews which include benchmarks of both AMD and NVidia cards. (An exception to this is the GT220 review)

It would be nice to know how current GeForce and Radeon 40nm GPUs perform relative to each other. So maybe a similarly priced Radeon 5670 could be included in the review, if an update is planned.

Comment

Probably because the Nvidia card eats it for breakfast...

Nvidia may rebadge their cards but if you compare to ATI cards, are you going to compare with the ATI card using which driver? Radeon/OSS or fglrx and then which card? Nvidia card will work and maybe it isn't best and it's rebadged based on some previous card but it will get through the tests... that's my impression.
      Last edited by Panix; 22 January 2010, 08:20 AM.

Comment

this is a rather interesting review. I have a funny feeling that the retarded scores are to do with the driver. Did you try a run with the latest beta driver?

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          Did you try a run with the latest beta driver?
          Either my sarcasm detector needs to be more sensitive or you missed this in the conclusion:

This issue was reproduced on two different systems with the latest stable and beta NVIDIA Linux drivers.

Comment

If you look @ NVidia's forums, other linux users are having the same problem (with GT 240).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Either my sarcasm detector needs to be more sensitive or you missed this in the conclusion:
              it was supposed to be about it being closed source. but i guess it diddnt work very well XD.

Comment

I think part of the issue here is just how "beta" the 195.x series drivers are. 195.22 caused a couple of native games to crash and I haven't tested 195.30 yet.

Please redo these tests with the stable drivers - 190.53 or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukian View Post
                  I think part of the issue here is just how "beta" the 195.x series drivers are. 195.22 caused a couple of native games to crash and I haven't tested 195.30 yet.

Please redo these tests with the stable drivers - 190.53 or similar.
                  Seeing that Michael did a nvidia review you can almost guarantee that there will be new beta's today. It seems like whenever he posts a review the drivers are updated.

Comment

I would like to seen a VDPAU update too as only new encoded mpeg4 standard files (ffmpeg avi output without any special options) work with mplayer + vdpau (not even with vlc + vaapi + vdpau-video), but most xvid files show artefacts. My current system can decode it in software mode too with about 3% cpu but when the chip was announced to do that...

Comment

Working...
                    X