• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
    'more involved'?
    emerge -C nvidia-drivers

yeah, that was hard.
    I knew someone who religiously uses Gentoo (only installed that) and tried to install on my system but was unsuccessful. I considered trying it myself but never got around to it.

Maybe I am too lazy or not learning enough or something but my level of expertise is not enough, I think to undergo a Gentoo install. That sounds like it's easy enough, though (i.e. RE: the Nvidia drivers).

Comment

• Hello you guys.

Why is everyone on this Internet, and particularly in this forum, doing as if the AMD Linux Driver would work with the HD 5770?

I am freaking out here, I tried everything.
      Aticonfig keeps telling me that it does not find a supported graphic device. If I force xorg to load with fglrx and my HD 5770 I just see scary green lines and dots.
      I updated the Kernel, and did it again. No change
      I upgraded the whole goddamn distribution (Kubuntu) to newest version. No change.

I havent been so frustrated with my Linux System since Suse 6.5.

How the heck are you getting it to run.

Oh by the way, the file I downloaded (and re-downloaded several times) from ATI is named ati-driver-installer-9-10 though, but the install scripts tells me somenthing like fglrx 8.611 or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by sorab View Post
        Hello you guys.

Why is everyone on this Internet, and particularly in this forum, doing as if the AMD Linux Driver would work with the HD 5770?

I am freaking out here, I tried everything.
        Aticonfig keeps telling me that it does not find a supported graphic device. If I force xorg to load with fglrx and my HD 5770 I just see scary green lines and dots.
        I updated the Kernel, and did it again. No change
        I upgraded the whole goddamn distribution (Kubuntu) to newest version. No change.

I havent been so frustrated with my Linux System since Suse 6.5.

How the heck are you getting it to run.

Oh by the way, the file I downloaded (and re-downloaded several times) from ATI is named ati-driver-installer-9-10 though, but the install scripts tells me somenthing like fglrx 8.611 or so.
        As has been said more than ten times already, the 9.10 drivers do not support the 57x0 series. You need one of the 9.11 betas and a quick forum search will show you where to get those.

Comment

• Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx
            Yep, that one works for me, but it will then show a "AMD Testing" overlay in the bottom RH corner that you can eradicate using a command from Kano's post here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10

I haven't yet got VAAPI working with this driver though, but I've been too busy to try hard

Comment

• That's an early beta released specifically for use with the Stream SDK. I wouldn't assume it contains working decode acceleration support.
              Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman
                Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

thank you so much. I will try that one

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                That's an early beta released specifically for use with the Stream SDK. I wouldn't assume it contains working decode acceleration support.
                Fair enough.

Comment

• Just wondering if there is any significant update as to the status of these cards? They seem to always be out of stock.

Also, in Linux, is it something like this?:

OSS drivers - good 2D, 3D is not supported
                  fglrx / proprietary - 3D is supported but has issues; 2D?

Is there (still) video tearing (XV?)
                  Last edited by Panix; 04 December 2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• My understanding is that they are constantly going in and out of stock at the busy retailers, ie cards are constantly arriving but they sell as soon as they arrive.

OSS status is analog vga outputs working but not released yet, no acceleration 2D or 3D.

Not aware of any 2D or 3D issues specific to the Evergreen parts. I believe GL output is still the way to go with fglrx to avoid tearing.
                    Test signature

Comment

• I've been watching my favourite shop ever now and then, and there always seem to be *some* cards available.

Today everything but asus is out of stock, tomorrow you cannot order the asus board any more but they have gigabyte boards available, next week you might have to buy sapphire etc. Generally, 57xx seems to be easier to get than 58xx/59xx.

YMMV, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X