Tiny Corp Puts Their AMD-Powered Compute Boxes "On Hold"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is AMD really that bad?
    Should I consider buying an Nvidia GPU instead for gaming and video editing?
    ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      Is AMD really that bad?
      ​​​
      for video editing, yes, for gaming it doesnt really matter if you dont get hit buy one of the crippling amd reset bugs

Comment

Is AMD really that bad?
        ​​​
        1. Silicon lottery
        2. PCB for AMD GPUs made from rice, literally - they melt at 200C
        3. look/ask what people with AMD use - their motherboard is very important, to dodge "reset bugs"
        4. but you still can get one with reset-bug, and gpu will reset randomly even in windows, back to silicon lottery

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Then add in the whole codec challenge that's a shitshow on AMD cards with some big distros like Fedora and OpenSUSE. 3rd party repos for Mesa and codec packages always end up having issues at some point.
          None of this is AMD's fault though and everything to do with legal. I still don't understand why Debian legal gave it the go ahead but it's not okay for Red Hat. Surely, if I buy hardware with a built-in hardware decoder then I should be able to utilise it via software. Apparently, MPEG LA, et al, will sue you if your distro works on hardware that does not have a license to use the hardware decoder. I don't understand how that's the software distributors fault instead of the hardware manufacturer though.

I guess they don't want to take any risks just in case even though in the entire history that this was enabled in their repositories and distributed to their users not once did they have a single legal complaint.

Oh well, the patents will expire eventually.

Comment

Is AMD really that bad?
            ​​​
            Yes it is, specially under Linux!!

Just look at all the comments in all the threads posted here, they are the worst thing to ever happen to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

None of this is AMD's fault though and everything to do with legal. I still don't understand why Debian legal gave it the go ahead but it's not okay for Red Hat. Surely, if I buy hardware with a built-in hardware decoder then I should be able to utilise it via software. Apparently, MPEG LA, et al, will sue you if your distro works on hardware that does not have a license to use the hardware decoder. I don't understand how that's the software distributors fault instead of the hardware manufacturer though.

I guess they don't want to take any risks just in case even though in the entire history that this was enabled in their repositories and distributed to their users not once did they have a single legal complaint.

Oh well, the patents will expire eventually.
              Definitely, I'm not saying the codec situation is AMD's fault. But it is an unfortunate pain the rear that end users of some big distros have to deal with that they don't encounter with Intel or NVIDIA GPUs. Basically all of my GPUs are AMD. On Tumbleweed or Slowroll, I'm still using the Packman repo for codec related packages,but I build my own Mesa packages in OBS. There have just been too many times that the Mesa builds in Packman have had build issues etc. I want to build all the codec related packages in my own OBS repo as well, I just haven't had time to get them all set up. On Fedora there have been fun issues like black screens from Mesa packages in RPM Fusion.

Comment

Is AMD really that bad?
                ​​​
                For general desktop and gaming use, your life is going to be a lot easier on AMD unless you stick with a limited number of distros that have really good NVIDIA support (e.g. Pop!_OS). If GPU compute is super important to you, NVIDIA / CUDA may be worth the pain. But again, if you want things to "just work" on any distro for basic desktop needs or gaming, you can save yourself a lot of pain by staying with AMD (or Intel).

Comment

What is the details of the issue ?

Comment

Originally posted by danilw View Post

1. Silicon lottery
                    2. PCB for AMD GPUs made from rice, literally - they melt at 200C
                    3. look/ask what people with AMD use - their motherboard is very important, to dodge "reset bugs"
                    4. but you still can get one with reset-bug, and gpu will reset randomly even in windows, back to silicon lottery
                    Full troll level? Rice? The boards are made by a variety of companies - some of the same which make cards for the latest NVIDIA GPUs. And how do you test for silicon lottery on cards? The existence of the reset bug? Reset bug only refers to VFIO usage, however. Once people get a specific GPU card model working well, then typically others can do the same without resets happening unexpectedly.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

For general desktop and gaming use, your life is going to be a lot easier on AMD unless you stick with a limited number of distros that have really good NVIDIA support (e.g. Pop!_OS). If GPU compute is super important to you, NVIDIA / CUDA may be worth the pain. But again, if you want things to "just work" on any distro for basic desktop needs or gaming, you can save yourself a lot of pain by staying with AMD (or Intel).
                      this is assuming you dont get hit with the cursed gpu reset bug that amd still hasn't managed to lock down​ somehow

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
                      Reset bug only refers to VFIO usage, however. Once people get a specific GPU card model working well, then typically others can do the same without resets happening unexpectedly.
                      no it doesn't, AMD gpus will randomly hit various ring time outs causing the card to need to reset, which usually fails, but even when it doesnt fail, it will still usually kill the compositor and all child processes.

Comment

Working...
                      X