Tiny Corp Puts Their AMD-Powered Compute Boxes "On Hold"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
    Radeon VII is actually nice for GPGPU, but support for it is being dropped from ROCm 6. Please note that it is high-end card from 2019, It came out just one year before RDNA2. And it's already being dropped when AMD says it brings support to more hardware.
    This is most crazy part - how AMD just drop Vega, how AMD just drop RDNA support, how AMD drop previous generations in 2-3-4-5 years, it is crazy.
    When Nvidia 10+ years of drivers support, latest Cuda12 works on Nvidia 750 with latest drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ET3D View Post
      And that will last until they decide that Intel isn't good enough either.
      Sound like content - can not wait for drama.

Comment

I see that the Ngreedia secret agents disguised as FOSS followers are out in full force in trashing AMD.

Lets see the following:
        Tiny Corp has hinted at abandoning AMD GPUs to explore Intel or Nvidia hardware.

Yeah… switching to Nvidia is an empty threat. They’re never gonna support this, and would quite likely attempt legal action, especially using gaming GPUs (which is mentioned in their EULA). Intel has less to lose in the GPU space, but the A770 isn’t exactly equivalent in compute or memory capacity?

open source the 7900XTX firmware+docs and remove the signature check
        I’m not an expert… but allowing unsigned firmware seems like a questionable idea these days?
        Especially for a product TinyCorp is selling to enterprise customers?

Asked AMD to open source Radeon firmware — with a deadline of the "end of the week" attached.
        This feels like it is something that takes a while, if it’s possible at all? I’d think it would need combed over to make sure it doesn’t leak trade secrets somehow, then run by legal for patent and licensing concerns and again, please do make the same bullshit "demands" from Ngreedia, I double dare you.

I can understand that AMD doesn’t like the optics of telling an AI company to pound sand, but these guys really seem to think the world revolves around them, and that buying gaming cards entitles them to a priority line to engineering to assist with their off-label use case.​

Also, AMD might be making a superhuman effort to do not tell this manchild to get Enterprise level hardware (and support) since they know that everything they say or do, will be used against them, just like all the Ngreedia rabid followers already have done in this thread.

Honestly I wish that AMD gave FOSS the middle finger, like Ngreedia to see what else will all of you crap about them.

Comment

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
          I don't get why loads of AMD employees get to LARP on social media like LinkedIn without ever a single comment from the actual geeks and power users who limit themselves to hacker news, reddit, phoronix, etc (cower in a corner of the internet). Are the geeks so scared of not getting work in the future that they won't write the same critiques using their own real names in the LinkedIn comments and corporate emails? I did this in the internal news sites of large companies I worked for - and I was basically the only one doing it - and while it did "cause trouble," I actually was able to create significant change that way. It was great actually: I found corruption, they called HR on me, then I was like "great, I'm glad HR is involved, perhaps they can help me with this corruption I found." Fear is the mind killer.
          On AMD scale - they can throw away all workers today, build school and educate new generation of workers for 5-10 years.
          IT personel have no value and can be easy replaced, does not matter what they do.
          If IT personel start being annoying - it get replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
            I see that the Ngreedia secret agents disguised as FOSS followers are out in full force in trashing AMD.
            I can understand that AMD doesn’t like the optics of telling an AI company to pound sand, but these guys really seem to think the world revolves around them, and that buying gaming cards entitles them to a priority line to engineering to assist with their off-label use case.​
            Maybe they dont have hundred of millions to order custom chips from AMD - so they use what they can.

Comment

Originally posted by danilw View Post

On AMD scale - they can throw away all workers today, build school and educate new generation of workers for 5-10 years.
              IT personel have no value and can be easy replaced, does not matter what they do.
              If IT personel start being annoying - it get replaced.
              This comment clearly demonstrates the slave mentality. There will always be a large # of people who use nihilism and despair to argue against any useful action. Few who argue like this are willing to confront that they may be dealing with a feeling rather than a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by danilw View Post

This is most crazy part - how AMD just drop Vega, how AMD just drop RDNA support, how AMD drop previous generations in 2-3-4-5 years, it is crazy.
                When Nvidia 10+ years of drivers support, latest Cuda12 works on Nvidia 750 with latest drivers.
                To be fair, they have not dropped gfx906/vega20 support yet at all, they just announced that they ceased feature work specific to this architecture and that it support will be dropped some time in the near future.
                Further gfx900/vega10 (mi25, vega64) hasent been supported in ages but they still absolutely still write the code to support gfx900 for new features and they still build everything with gfx900 support enabled. Dropping gfx900/vega10 just meant removing it from the pool of unit test machines, altho there is evidence in patch notes that they even do sill occasionally run the tests on gfx900. I can also conform gfx900 still absolutely works totally fine.

Really the level of support gfx900 has gotten post being dropped is the same as old nvidia architectures get, AMD is just terrible at communication, as usual.
                Ofc this do sent mean that gfx906 will get the same treatment, again communicating better what its end of support is going to entail is needed.

Comment

Yeah… switching to Nvidia is an empty threat. They’re never gonna support this, and would quite likely attempt legal action, especially using gaming GPUs (which is mentioned in their EULA). Intel has less to lose in the GPU space, but the A770 isn’t exactly equivalent in compute or memory capacity?[INDENT]
                  Schizo posting hard today I see. Nvidia made bank on selling "gaming gpus" to cryptominers and are making bank selling it to AI bros.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Schizo posting hard today I see. Nvidia made bank on selling "gaming gpus" to cryptominers and are making bank selling it to AI bros.
                    Did they ever admitted selling to directly to miners?

Of course not, but you will also ignore that.

Little reading for you:

Comment

Did they ever admitted selling to directly to miners?

Of course not, but you will also ignore that.

Little reading for you:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/e...ta-center-use/
                      why are you sending a link to data center use?

Comment

Working...
                      X