Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35-Way Linux GPU Graphics Comparison, Initial NVIDIA RTX 40 SUPER Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35-Way Linux GPU Graphics Comparison, Initial NVIDIA RTX 40 SUPER Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: 35-Way Linux GPU Graphics Comparison, Initial NVIDIA RTX 40 SUPER Linux Benchmarks

Here's a fresh look at the AMD Radeon versus NVIDIA GeForce Linux graphics/gaming performance across a variety of workloads as well as our first look at the GeForce RTX 4070 series and RTX 4080 SUPER performance. With recently receiving the rest of the GeForce RTX 40 series line-up currently released, we're now able to share a comprehensive look at how the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 series versus AMD Radeon RX 7000 series performance is under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well it's better than the 4070 but for the price? Wait for a 5000 series 70 card if one wants a huge wallet dent from team green. I am seeing one deal on amazon for close to the 4070 price but how long will that last?

Last edited by creative; 31 January 2024, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Super? For Nvidia and the shareholders maybe, not so much for anyone else.

Comment

Impressive comparison! Seeing the Intel Arc cards in the mix would've been nice.

Comment

What a huge benchmark! Thanks Michael again for your astonishing work!

Comment

Originally posted by dracc View Post
            Impressive comparison! Seeing the Intel Arc cards in the mix would've been nice.
            That will be in a follow-up article... Was benchmarking up until last night to simply make this comparison possible.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That will be in a follow-up article... Was benchmarking up until last night to simply make this comparison possible.
              Awesome, I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Isn't PyTorch already compatible with ROCm on AMD GPUs via HIP? Why aren't these included in the benchmarks? Maybe it's not the same as CUDA but it's also kind of dishonest to keep it separate. Both require the usage of proprietary drivers. I think it would be interesting to see how much difference it actually still makes to buy into Nvidia for such tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  Super? For Nvidia and the shareholders maybe, not so much for anyone else.
                  Highly praised and beloved here AMD for some reasons didn't want to undercut NVIDIA, thus you can "enjoy" the insane pricing that we have.

Had AMD released 7900 XTX and 7900 XT at $200 lower NVIDIA would have never retained the same pricing that they've had.

Too bad AMD decided to play along and enjoy fat margins.

But you will still love AMD and hate NVIDIA even though both companies care a ton more about their shareholders than customers.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Highly praised and beloved here AMD for some reasons didn't want to undercut NVIDIA, thus you can "enjoy" the insane pricing that we have.
                    Probably true. There are so many silent ways of price fixing that you'll get to price fixing cartel behavior without having any evidence of it.

I mostly use NVIDIA GPUs. They've always worked for me and never had issues with their proprietary drivers etc despite me building just about every kernel major release with my own configuration in combination with their driver. Don't like the greedflation tax the world seems to have fallen in to though.

Comment

Working...
                    X