Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any update: HD Radeon 4xxx v.s. Nviida 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXX
    replied
    Well, crumja, i don't feel like buying an ATI card for 300 bucks just to test if the drivers are suitable for my needs...
    My GTX 260 sounds like this or even worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAnLxMyapOs

And not just in menus/during intros, but also while playing certain games and creating 3d models, even in 2d mode, while moving windows around.
    I tried activating the vsynch in the NVIDIA options which did not help, I tried clocking down the card which did not help eighter, I tried close to everything....

Leave a comment:

• crumja
    replied
    Too much FUD going on here. It's always "I read this or that". Please, think about what you're reading instead of accepting it on blind faith. Panix, AMD does not restrict what video cards can be used with their motherboards; that would be illegal. MAXX, you "heard" about bad ATI drivers. Have you tried them to see if they meet your needs?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Try contacting the manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• MAXX
    replied
    No, they say it's "normal"/"normal wearout".
    Seriously, it's barely half a year old and... well, I'd definitely call it defect. It can't be considered normal that they produce such squealing crap and expect people to swallow it.

I'll post a link to a video where someone recorded his squealing GTX260 whichs squealing level is similar to mine. I don't have that link handy right now.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Couldn't you return the card?

Leave a comment:

• MAXX
    replied
    My GTX 260 worked fine for about half a year...
    Then it started squealing like a girl, no matter if I play certain games (Lugaru or X3 squeal like hell, Quake Wars, Doom 3, Americas Army and Prey run without squealing, creating high-poly models in Blender 3D makes the card squeal like hell...)
    Seriously, it's unbearable. I'd buy a new card, but I'm afraid, that it'd just have the same fault.
    And I heard about the crappy ATI drivers at every corner, so I can't buy one of theirs either... So I'll have to wait till NVIDIA uses better hardware or until ATI has better Linux drivers.

Leave a comment:

• sirdilznik
    replied
    I am using an AM2+ system. My mobo is K10N780SLIX3 running a Phenom II 940 and I use a GTX260-216. I've had no issues with this combination, the card runs beautifully in the system and gives terrific performance in both native games and under wine (depending on how far wine itself has come along for a given title). I can't comment on the ATI card since I haven't used ATI since my switch to Linux years ago, but I've been really happy with my GTX260-216, that card is a beast.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Does it matter which mobo you use with either of these cards?

Is there any issues with using a Nvidia card in one of the AMD AM2+ or AM3 motherboards?

I would probably use the ATI or Nvidia card (ones we're comparing, that generation, anyway) in my P35 mobo but I wanted to buy/build a 2nd system. I am debating whether to build a used P45 system (not a lot of upgrade options but still decent) or a newer AM2+ or AM3 system. The potential issue or factor would be that I have a Nvidia 7950GT in the P35 system I have. I could use this in the 2nd system as it probably doesn't have much re-sale value. However, if I buy an AMD AM2+ / AM3 system, I am not sure whether Nvidia cards can be used without problems. I know many have ATI integrated IGP graphics but I still would like to know about discrete grahpics cards options.

I suppose I could sell the GeForce 79xx series card for real cheap or find a friend/relative who wants/needs a simple discrete card but I was looking for all my options if I buy a 2nd system.

I also was curious about using one brand's card in the other (chipset) mobo. I know Intel has CrossFire but to my knowledge, it doesn't matter whether the discrete graphics card is ATI or Nvidia as it only matters if you are using two cards.

TIA for any info!

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    The OpenGL stack is pretty much the same in the Linux and Windows XP drivers. 2D and video code is significantly different between the Linux and Windows drivers, however, since the acceleration APIs have very little in common.

There aren't a lot of benchmarks comparing different vendors' products under Linux but here's one :

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...num=1&single=1
    Last edited by bridgman; 08 July 2009, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Fglrx 3D performance is basically on par with the Windows driver. Of course, I'm talking only about cross-platform titles and not games running with Wine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X