Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics vs. AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce For 1080p Linux Graphics In Late 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be nice to add numbers for nvidia cards using the nouveau drivers, so people can see what they can realistically expect without exposing their computers to potentially malicious non-free code running as root and even inside the kernel.
    That would paint a very different picture of what hardware someone should get when building a new computer: Anything but nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by deejay1 View Post
      Why is the 6800 XT faster than the 7800 XT?
      Because if you look at the specs, 7800xt is actually the replacement for the 6800 non-xt, but amd decided to name it 7800xt for marketing reasons.

Edit: by markering I of course mean to sell it for 50-100€ more while making it sound better than it is to the uninformed masses.
      Last edited by Mr.Elendig; 08 November 2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        AMD driver support has been AMD biggest issue with GPUs and that is not restricted to Linux. The mesa3d process has seen features delayed as code to support particular processes fail peer review and have to be redone but the when the features land they been in good condition. Window side users have had red screens of death (as in full kernel crashes) and other nightmares yes they got the features sooner but they also got more stability issues..
        I've been using AMD cards under both Windows and Linux for years now and I haven't had single driver related issue for quite some time now. Yes, Linux support is a bit laggy, but it's not really that bad. And I haven't seen any kind of screen of death in Windows for years. Nowadays most "driver issues" are in fact user errors. In most cases these are overclock or undervolt issues.

Comment

Originally posted by berolinux View Post
          Would be nice to add numbers for nvidia cards using the nouveau drivers, so people can see what they can realistically expect without exposing their computers to potentially malicious non-free code running as root and even inside the kernel.
          That would paint a very different picture of what hardware someone should get when building a new computer: Anything but nvidia!
          This is so stupid, and even worse there are people upvoting you and i know there are many on this and other forums that agree with you.

The reason it's so stupid is the implied belief that Nvidia is going to add "malicious" code to their proprietary drivers and hurt their multi billion dollar business by exposing themselves to lawsuits, boycotts and lost customers.

As if Nvidia cares about infiltrating your computer, the disillusion of grandeur among some Linux users is amazing.

I can't wait for Nvidia to release their ARM based CPUs, and if I'm right, they will probably go full Apple and release a gaming, compute and AI focused, BSD based OS and tell Linux users to kiss off.

Comment

Originally posted by Karmux View Post
            This prooves once again that AMD 7k series is a garbage that AMD could have skipped and instead produced more 6k cards. I see no reason to "upgrade" from my 6800 XT anytime soon.
            I wouldnt call them garbage, but they are groslly misnamed, same for their prices.

In my book, they should had been names as this:

7900 XTX= 7800 XT and priced at 650 tops.
            7900 XT= 7800 and priced at 550 tops
            7800 XT= 7700 and so on and on.
            Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 08 November 2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              Another victim of Ngreedia marketing bs…..
              RT is and will be a gimmick... yada, yada, yada....
              You sir, are entitled to your own opinions. However, STFU about trying to guess mine! I do not own nor recommend Nvidia products and can think independent thoughts.

Comment

Graphic designers: Ray tracing is the holy grail of computer graphics.

Nvidia: Makes ray tracing a reality.

AMD fanboys: ray tracing is a gimmick

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

That another mistake. The same control options with AMD hardware are under Linux as under Windows. Linux lack GUI to control them and amdgpu driver by default in Linux is set very conservative on what you are allowed to change. Yes needing to set ppfeaturemask​ to allow overclocking before amdgpu driver will allow you to play with voltage regulation and many other things.

There is a funny thing where most AIB making AMD cards in fact pay third party programmer for the GUI does those settings under windows. Yes some of your cheaper AMD cards you find don't come with a GUI that will control them under Windows either did not pay the third party for the GUI.

What you are calling basic features the difference is Linux does not have a well developed GUI to control them not that the features at not there to be controlled.

https://github.com/Lurkki14/tuxclocker Yes we are starting to see tuxclocker step into the role but tuxclocker nowhere near complete on what can be controlled.. You also have the case that some of the AIB over clock software for windows for Nvidia hardware is also third party. This is really headache that applies to Nvidia, Intel and AMD GPUs under Linux with different levels of missing interface.

That basic feature stuff is it own form of headache. AMD has given Linux what they do in the basic feature parts but then you have the third party bits.
                  What 'mistake' are you referring to? Are you saying my presumptions are inaccurate or incorrect? I think the only amd gpu - series I'm interested in is the 7900 series. I looked at Blender and Davinci Resolve benchmarks - and performance looks pretty good IF - for Blender, the hip-rt is ever working. It's experimental in Windows and who knows how long that status will be.

As for basic settings - what if I want the gpu as quiet as possible? For the 7000 series, the fan curves and voltage regulation options are really limited - in Corectrl unless this has changed? I think one of the TuxClocker devs replied here - and I can't remember what the reply was - but, I think that is being worked on? If I had a 3090 (for e.g.) - I think most of these options are working atm, right? They might even be working for a 40 series - I am not sure - but, my guess is that support is probably closer to being realized than the AMD RDNA 3 cards? Hdmi 2.1 - still not working. See the pattern here? Or am I making yet another mistake? /s :-/

Edit: re: Tuxclocker web page you sourced - amd and nvidia options look similar but power limit options are lacking on amd 7000?
                  Last edited by Panix; 08 November 2023, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevard View Post
                    I've been using AMD cards under both Windows and Linux for years now and I haven't had single driver related issue for quite some time now. Yes, Linux support is a bit laggy, but it's not really that bad. And I haven't seen any kind of screen of death in Windows for years. Nowadays most "driver issues" are in fact user errors. In most cases these are overclock or undervolt issues.
                    It seems painfully slow to me - or I wouldn't hesitate to pick one over a Nvidia. I had the black screens - I know about the flickering - and most distros are going with Wayland Display Server and practically dumping X11 - plus, I just want to try it. But, my gaming is just light - it's not my priority - and I want the gpu mostly for productivity - even Linux users tell me to go with Nvidia. Why is that?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Karmux View Post
                      This prooves once again that AMD 7k series is a garbage that AMD could have skipped and instead produced more 6k cards. I see no reason to "upgrade" from my 6800 XT anytime soon.
                      the 7800XT was never designed to outperform a 6800XT... it is designed to sell cheaper than a 6800XT.

the cards who are designed to beat the 6800XT are the 7900 GRE, 7900XT and 7900XTX and AMD PRO W7900...
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X