Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 5 Graphics Continue With Open-Source Driver & Crazy Fast Compared To RPi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 5 Graphics Continue With Open-Source Driver & Crazy Fast Compared To RPi 4

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 5 Graphics Continue With Open-Source Driver & Crazy Fast Compared To RPi 4

With my Raspberry Pi 5 review and benchmarks I focused on the CPU performance of the quad-core Cortex-A76 2.4GHz Broadcom SoC powering this new single board computer, but the graphics upgrade are just as equally impressive. Here is a look at the open-source driver support and performance for the Raspberry Pi 5's VideoCore VII GPU.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I want to see if this would make a decent Wireguard server that could serve 10-15 users.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
      Well, I want to see if this would make a decent Wireguard server that could serve 10-15 users.
      Wasn’t that already feasible with prior versions? Wireguard isn’t resource intensive

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
        It looks a lot more beefy in terms of performance so maybe yes.

Comment

This is probably one of the first times I've noticed that the RasPi Foundation *didn't* release a brand spanking new OS revision to coincide with this new Pi5 version. Talk about taking the wind out of your own sails? Their last release was in May so you'd think they'd want all the new fancy bells and whistles of a new Bookworm release. Makes me wonder if they're waiting on the Debian 12.2 release that's heading out the door in early October (https://lists.debian.org/debian-rele...sg00015.html)? They could have waited an extra couple of week to capitalize on it.

Comment

An ye ole Google found this regarding Bookworm versus Bullseye performance: https://github.com/HankB/Pi-4B-bookworm-performance and https://groups.google.com/g/linux.de.../c/eOtzAb0KWXI

Maybe that's why no Bookworm OS update yet?

Comment

The real question is: how does videocore vii compare in terms of performance to rk3588's mali g610 mp4 valhall? Does anybody know?

Comment

So, does Raspberry Pi 5 solve all the screen tearing issues? I remember when Raspberry Pi 4 came out, it was supposed to be SO much more performant than Pi 3 and all, but once I got one in my hands, the screen tearing was just really annoying.

Comment

Good news, the pi is getting more useful with this healthy boost in overall perf.

How about compute? Does it support OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Wasn’t that already feasible with prior versions? Wireguard isn’t resource intensive
                    The older Raspberry Pis, including the 4, did not have the encryption acceleration extensions in the CPU. This one does have them. Wireguard, TLS, and disk encryption speeds on the older Pis was atrocious, making them terrible for anything that needed them.

image.png

Comment

Working...
                    X