No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 525.78.01 Linux Driver Released With Support For The GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 525.78.01 Linux Driver Released With Support For The GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

Phoronix: NVIDIA 525.78.01 Linux Driver Released With Support For The GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

NVIDIA this morning released the NVIDIA 525.78.01 Linux driver as a minor update to the R525 driver series with a few fixes and support for the new GeForce RTX 4070 Ti graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LLVM 15 still does not work with this driver and needs to be patched.
    6.2rc1 dkms got fixed.

Comment

Does NVidia fix this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
        LLVM 15 still does not work with this driver and needs to be patched.
        That's sad.

Comment

Currently forced to be on Win11+WSL because of DaVinci and CUDA recently went from a RX580 to a RTX 3090.

Can't use a 75hz desktop dropping to 25-40fps when any window opens up, or a notification comes up, or a measly 480p video is playing on X11. I can't edit a video or watch a movie with notifications turned on lol.

Resizing a window if there is any kind of OpenGL/Vulkan rendering on-screen, including basic desktop widgets takes literal 20 seconds and drops EVERYTHING else to 10fps.
          Any kind of compositing or vsync from more than a single source makes everything shit itself. No matter which DE/compositor/distro it always behaves in differently fucked ways.

Only situation it performs well is during fullscreen games, basically. Or specific situations in wayland (yeah, xwayland in nvidia is jerky also), ignoring basic features missing like gamma shift, gsync and a control panel with actual utility.
          Last edited by clapbr; 05 January 2023, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
            Currently forced to be on Win11+WSL because of DaVinci and CUDA recently went from a RX580 to a RTX 3090.

Can't use a 75hz desktop dropping to 25-40fps when any window opens up, or a notification comes up, or a measly 480p video is playing on X11. I can't edit a video or watch a movie with notifications turned on lol.

Resizing a window if there is any kind of OpenGL/Vulkan rendering on-screen, including basic desktop widgets takes literal 20 seconds and drops EVERYTHING else to 10fps.
            Any kind of compositing or vsync from more than a single source makes everything shit itself. No matter which DE/compositor/distro it always behaves in differently fucked ways.

Only situation it performs well is during fullscreen games, basically. Or specific situations in wayland (yeah, xwayland in nvidia is jerky also), ignoring basic features missing like gamma shift, gsync and a control panel with actual utility.
            from what Ive seen from recent benchmarks the 3090 driver is bugged badly on both windows and Linux

I managed to grab a 3070 more or less on launch day (wanted a 3080 but no stock anywhere back then), its absolutely heavenly tbh, absolutely nothing could make me install windows again, least of all faulty gpu drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
              I gave up on hibernate as soon as I switched to SSD. Didn't see any point, the system boots up as fast as it resumes from hibernation now.

But if you're really worried about that, you should look up the proper bug report and follow its status.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

from what Ive seen from recent benchmarks the 3090 driver is bugged badly on both windows and Linux

I managed to grab a 3070 more or less on launch day (wanted a 3080 but no stock anywhere back then), its absolutely heavenly tbh, absolutely nothing could make me install windows again, least of all faulty gpu drivers.
                Really? Weirdly, I have no problem at all on benchmarks, either on Linux or Windows, except for Superposition Game Mode locking itself to 12fps on Linux Numbers look fine on everything, and everything on Windows latest drivers is fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
                  Hibernation also works for me after setting the flags, despite everything else I complained previously.

Comment

Oh, and btw "The GeForce RTX 4070 Ti is promoted as being faster than the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti while at around half the power use." is invalid for workloads requiring more than 12Gb VRAM which may not even run at all. Only options with reasonable VRAM for compute workloads are still 3090 (and Ti) and 4090 unfortunately, unless you willing to spend your lifetime savings on a RTX6000 or A100 even.

Comment

Working...
                    X