Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Linux Performance

AMD recently launched the Radeon RX 6500 XT graphics card for the $199 USD price point. While built on the current-generation RDNA2 architecture, this graphics card was widely panned for its price while only offering 4GB of video memory, limited to PCIe x4 bandwidth, and performance similar to the years-old Polaris GPUs. While all the major benchmarks online to this point have been under Windows, here is a look at how the AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT is performing under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You tested it with PCIe 4.0, right? The results are even more shocking with PCIe 3.0 x4.

Getting beat by the 5500 XT more often than not is tragic, especially with around 52% higher clocks.

Nevertheless, it might be worth it at MSRP, and it probably won't be targeted by miners.

Comment

Its a terrible card, in every regard. And that is exactly the card that we absolutely need right now, considering that this card should be truly worthless to miners.

Comment

This is all with Smart Access Memory enabled, right?

Comment

Realistically speaking, what other similarly-performing GPU one can purchase new at similar prices? I don't think there's much choice here, and oftentimes buying used is not an option.

I think this is mostly intended for people with newly-assembled PCs who need to complete their configuration with a GPU that can perform better than an iGPU but don't need much more than Polaris-level performance.

Too bad for only having 4 GB of VRAM, though.

Comment

On the other hand, all the games benchmarked were playable, which suggests we need more stressful games in the benchmark suite - but finding scriptable automateable benchmarkable games is probably the big difficulty here.

Optimising the game settings is necessary for this card, to ensure it can run well in the 4GB memory without needing too much PCIe bandwidth, especially on PCIe 3.0 boards. Benchmarks often don't do this, as they keep settings consistent for comparative purposes.

It's such a shame that for the sake of a few mm^2 of silicon, PCIe bandwidth was trashed (for the design aim, a mobile GPU companion for PCIe 4.0 equipped CPUs/APUs with AV1 decode already, it's fine) and memory limited to 4GB (96-bit could have allowed 6GB), and AV1 decode was killed.

Comment

So is this the card I get if my RX570 dies and I'll need something with similar performance that might be actually available in shops? However, I don't expect this thing to be selling at MSRP anyway which will make it an even more terrible choice.

Comment

useless gpu, with ridiculous performance and high price.

Comment

I hate that I have to say this, but realistically speaking, going by my prices, my choice is between a new RX6500xt for 345cad, or a used RX 580 for 350, I'm still going to buy the rx6500xt, for the warranty alone. so as much as I hate to say it. amd new exactly what was going to happen, and made the best card for the situation... well, for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                    This is all with Smart Access Memory enabled, right?
                    Yes as shown on the system table.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X