Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL 3.0.8 Released With New Extension To Help AI Inferencing

Phoronix: OpenCL 3.0.8 Released With New Extension To Help AI Inferencing

The Khronos Group recently released a new minor point release to the OpenCL 3.0 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: "...compute the dote product..."

Comment

Speaking of AI, did anyone read about that new game cheating tool that uses AI connected to the controllers that watches FPS games with cameras and reacts? It's said to work on any FPS style of game on any console or PC where you see the enemy and shoot.

That tool makes me think we should just ban AI. That game cheating tool might as well be considered to be an actual kill bot. Replace the make believe video game with real life drone software, which it could control since some of those use Xbox 360 controllers, and it's literal kill bot software without changing a single line of code. I don't like the idea that some person making a cheating tool for video games is inadvertently creating software that has the potential kills us all.

They can detect the tool in use because it plays too good; inhuman reaction times and precision. Not a good thing for us if we have to go up against it.

Comment

Meanwhile, AMD still shipping barely functional OCL1.2 on Linux.

Comment

Not to nitpick, and I know English can sometimes be a tricky language, but isn't the noun `inference` and the verb `to infer`?

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe I wrote to soon: https://english.stackexchange.com/a/123539

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
              Not to nitpick, and I know English can sometimes be a tricky language, but isn't the noun `inference` and the verb `to infer`?
              Yes, it should be "inferencing generation", but got shortened into "inferencing" by the AI community.

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
              Hmmm... Maybe I wrote to soon: https://english.stackexchange.com/a/123539
              Nah, that only proves that another community jargonized it first.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
                Meanwhile, AMD still shipping barely functional OCL1.2 on Linux.
                Their ROCm stack claims 2.2 support.

Perhaps you mean the Mesa stack?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  That tool makes me think we should just ban AI. That game cheating tool might as well be considered to be an actual kill bot. Replace the make believe video game with real life drone software, which it could control since some of those use Xbox 360 controllers, and it's literal kill bot software without changing a single line of code.
                  Wow, did it just occur to you that AI could be used to power killer robots?!

Maybe what should be illegal is building or using killer robots!

They can detect the tool in use because it plays too good; inhuman reaction times and precision.
                  Almost like... a guided missile? So, yeah, not really such a new or novel thing.

Not a good thing for us if we have to go up against it.
                  We'll do what humans have always done, when faced with a better weapon. We'll build drones to fight them, and other countermeasures as well.

There's a flip side to this, which is that I'm sure police will launch drones to chase perps at a crime scene. Kind of equivalent to police dogs, except they fly and you can track them to find where the suspect went.

Yeah, it's all a little scary, but that's the relentless march of progress for you. Technology is a Pandora's Box. Since the dawn of civilization, humans have been creating ever more ingenious ways to kill each other, or at least shift the power balance in their favor.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Their ROCm stack claims 2.2 support.

Perhaps you mean the Mesa stack?
                    Mesa's clover advertises 1.1 atm, but supports some 1.2 extensions. In the few workloads it works it's usually a lot faster than AMDGPU-pro and ROCm, so it has potential.

Depending on version ROCm advertises 2.0/2.1/2.2 support for the "platform", but most devices advertise only 1.2 device support so no 2.0+ extensions. Additionally ROCm barely works on the GPUs it's supposed to support (which is a very small piece of their actual GPU portfolio). Image and GL interop are broken since ever, and only work on specific old releases like 2.0 or 3.3. We're at 4.2.0 now and they stopped supporting Polaris officially also.

They claim ROCm is a datacenter/enterprise compute stack, but I honestly doubt any real business would invest in something that simply doesn't work. Just take a clue from the bug reports, they are clearly mostly from enthusiasts. And most are rotting on github with no response or action.

For my GPU (RX 580) there's only one way to get 2.0 OpenCL on Linux. You'll need the old 19.50 PRO driver and force the PAL backend with env var GPU_ENABLE_PAL=1

Comment

Working...
                    X