Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon Driver Performance Against NVIDIA Linux Gaming For March 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRanged View Post

GearSeekers does both Linux and Windows bechmarking CPUs and GPUs.
    Isn't him a Youtuber? Why does nobody like to read anymore?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Isn't him a Youtuber? Why does nobody like to read anymore?
      Yes he is a tuber from aussie land.
      And yes I still like to read but it seems that a lot of reviewers do only Youtube regretably,
      Last edited by DRanged; 13 March 2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Phoronix is no regular reviewer because it's basically the only one doing Linux GPU reviews with a large audience. Nobody wants the 6900XT on Windows because it lacks so many features compared to the 3090 including good encoders, decent RTX performance, DLSS etc. On Linux on the other hand it wins hands down and yet you miss the opportunity of good free coverage.
        For the same reason 6900XT is in an unfortunate middle ground that makes it hard to recommend. Although the 3090 is more expensive by roughly $500, it has a much better feature set compared to the 6900XT as you mentioned and also higher (and faster) VRAM which matters more for the people who this card is catered to (i.e. creatives). The 6900XT is essentially just a better binned 6800XT and if you are the type of person willing to spend 1k on a graphics card than the extra 500 for a 3090 is not gonna be as impactful.

For linux the story is different because features like DLSS 2 aren't available on Linux (yet) although the encoders/decoders are (seriously AMD, just get your ass into gear and improve the situation with encoders/decoders on your graphics cards, this is a really easy way to get higher end users to buy your cards).

Also note that the 3090 does end up being on average faster than the 6900XT for 4k most likely due to the fact that at such high resolution the infinity cache is not as effective.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          For linux the story is different because features like DLSS 2 aren't available on Linux (yet) although the encoders/decoders are (seriously AMD, just get your ass into gear and improve the situation with encoders/decoders on your graphics cards, this is a really easy way to get higher end users to buy your cards).

Also note that the 3090 does end up being on average faster than the 6900XT for 4k most likely due to the fact that at such high resolution the infinity cache is not as effective.
          Wait, Radeon's hardware video encoder/decoder works in Linux drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Wait, Radeon's hardware video encoder/decoder works in Linux drivers?
            Of course they do. What happens often is that applications have to be told to use GPU acceleration, but e.g. with a Chromium-like browser or MPV, you can see the GPU being used in radeontop while playing a video.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Of course they do. What happens often is that applications have to be told to use GPU acceleration, but e.g. with a Chromium-like browser or MPV, you can see the GPU being used in radeontop while playing a video.
              That dedicated video encoder does not show up for me as available encoder in OBS Studio, not outside the Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

That dedicated video encoder does not show up for me as available encoder in OBS Studio, not outside the Windows.
                The decoder only works for a handful of cards, or OBS hasn't it implemented yet.

Comment

I only care about ENCODER, decoding can be done by cpu for all I care. OBS supports it, otherwise I wouldnt be able to use it in it's Windows port either..

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie

Yeah I meant encoder, but if you're going to be pissy about a word you can infer from context I won't bother replying to you anymore.
                    A normal response to someone after you had previously misspoke is usually a sort of apology, like:

"Sorry, I meant encoder, my bad"

But instead you got upset that aht0 would be so careless as to read the words you wrote, and nothing more.

Maybe you should be less careless when writing comments?

Comment

Working...
                    X