Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon Driver Performance Against NVIDIA Linux Gaming For March 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

bridgman said they want to send him a 6900XT i think they maybe wait until ROCm is supported on 6900XT
    When that will happen 6900XT won't be relevant anymore
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      AMD 6900XT was not sampled to Phoronix or, in fairness, to a lot of other reviewers
      Phoronix is no regular reviewer because it's basically the only one doing Linux GPU reviews with a large audience. Nobody wants the 6900XT on Windows because it lacks so many features compared to the 3090 including good encoders, decent RTX performance, DLSS etc. On Linux on the other hand it wins hands down and yet you miss the opportunity of good free coverage.
      ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

bridgman said they want to send him a 6900XT i think they maybe wait until ROCm is supported on 6900XT
        I'd rather see ROCm supported on all distributions, instead of the happy few

Comment

Interestingly, these results were obtained on a recent AMD CPU, I wonder if that helped a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
            Are the top cards similar hardware wise or the NVIDIA is maybe previous generation ?
            they are from latest generations, novideo is more expensive and more power hungry(and slower)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              That's the thing - these drivers are still relatively immature. There's still room for improvement, and that says a lot considering they're already really good.
              Then wine names fit even better. Already well matured does not imply that it has reached its peak already.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Phoronix is no regular reviewer because it's basically the only one doing Linux GPU reviews with a large audience. Nobody wants the 6900XT on Windows because it lacks so many features compared to the 3090 including good encoders, decent RTX performance, DLSS etc. On Linux on the other hand it wins hands down and yet you miss the opportunity of good free coverage.
                Yep, we made that case but it wasn't sufficient to change the outcome unfortunately.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  I just want an affordable RDNA2 mainstream variant. Not everyone wants 4K gaming on a desktop. Some of us are more than satisfied with 1080p.
                  I am waiting in anticipation for the RX 6700 (XT) reviews and availability upon launge.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

GearSeekers does both Linux and Windows bechmarking CPUs and GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep, we made that case but it wasn't sufficient to change the outcome unfortunately.
                      Sometimes I think Elon Musk must be truly right about MBA Graduates
                      ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X