No announcement yet.

Ethereum Crypto Mining Performance Benchmarks On The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distract people from what? the fake money we use now controlled by the rich banks?
    extra baggage how?

The only thing I didn't like about cryptocurrency is that most of them DO NOT give anything back to society, there is no research or math being done that can be leveraged such as SETI or FOLDING such data that can be useful in the end (or even a resource of processing power for research and such).

The processing power was used to find coins and processing transactions, nothing else and it just ate the world's electricity up while doing it. For the most part, all it did was increase greenhouse emissions which is not useful or sustainable. They need to change it into a actual scientific or mathematical processing resource that can actually help us such as finding cures or new stars, WHATEVER anybody wants!

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Let's see.....
    There is quite large transaction costs involved at the lower end but!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      The only thing I didn't like about cryptocurrency is that most of them DO NOT give anything back to society, there is no research or math being done that can be leveraged such as SETI or FOLDING such data that can be useful in the end (or even a resource of processing power for research and such).

There is quite large transaction costs involved at the lower end but!
      That's not true. Blockchain is a very useful data structure with uses beyond cryptocurrencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        To me, this cryptocurrency craze is fool's gold, snake oil for the lazy. Instead of going out and getting a job, or a second job or working some overtime, these people think they can get something for nothing. Yes, I know all about the "profits" that some make, but these "profits" only exist on paper, I think there's only 1 or 2 countries that consider any form of cryptocurrency legal currency and people that "mine" and "earn" these digital coins invariably store them in virtual "wallets". If you are going to "mine" then at least convert the "coins" to a global currency, like the dollar or euro, as soon as you earn it but these dummies won't do that because they don't want to pay taxes on the "money" they made so hey end up storing it digitally until the value tanks or it's stolen.
        If you swap the "cryptocurrency" with "stock options and derivatives", you have described the stock markets, which existed well before cryptocurrencies were even a concept.

I have thought repeatedly that the person(s) that created bit coin, what started this whole insanity, must have been an employee of either a video card vendor, like AMD or Nvidia or someone that worked for a power company, because let's be honest with ourselves, the real winners with crypto-mining is these 2 businesses.
        You can pull AMD/NVIDIA out of the equation, as Bitcoin algorithm was easy to place in an ASIC, so the GPUs were used only in very early stages.

For other stuff like Ethereum or whatever that has a different algorithm to avoid making ASIC viable, maybe, but they came much later.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          I feel cryptocurrency is a ruse. Have felt that way for a while now. At first I only heard of bitcoin then after some years and studying I came to the conclusion that it's bs. Just another way to distract people and keep them busy with extra baggage and more bs.
          Unless you cite the reasons and the rationale you followed to reach the conclusion, you can't know if this is just another case of "I saw what I wanted to see" or actual truth.

Especially if you started with a conclusion already in your mind. Human mind plays tricks all the time. That's why scientific method requires multiple independent verification from third parties to even consider something.

Comment

Originally posted by Papicha View Post
            That's not true. Blockchain is a very useful data structure with uses beyond cryptocurrencies.
            The atom bomb has uses beyond blowing people up too, but you don't see people setting them off daily do you? Blockchain has uses, doesn't mean we need to burn a hole in the sun to realize them do we?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Some cryprocurrencies are actually doing that. The algorithms are stuff used for research. BOINC and FOLDING have their coin.

But it's still money, so the cryptocurrency has to be profitable as the first and most important thing if it wants to become used by miners.

Comment

1080 Ti with the pill (https://github.com/OhGodACompany/OhG...HlargementPill) does around 50 Mh/s. So it seems like 2080 Ti is actually terrible at mining.
                Things may improve if there is a way to improve miners software for GDDR6 though...

Comment

Mining cryptocurrencies is just artificially wasting electricity and thus imho it should be taxed by governments in order to finance R&D on renewable energy sources. Otherwise I can imagine it creating a spiral of energy consumption leading to exhaustion of those resources due to ease of acquiring profit from such activity. After all any moron can buy cards, install software and run it without any education required, save for basic math. Imagine every person on Earth running mining rig. Thankfully, trading it is not regulated so currency can loose value easily, which deters many from bothering with that and it's just about some number of people actually profiting over others that miscalculated and tanked. Blockchain technology alone of course is not harmful for survival of Earth population but I do believe that mining cryptocurrencies is, just due to associated, pointless power consumption.
                  Last edited by reavertm; 23 September 2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

why is 2080ti slower than titan v at mining? titan is 68 stock. this is 50. i think the miners are not tuned for turing.

Comment

Maybe DDR5x has lower latency?

Comment

Working...
                      X