Ethereum Crypto Mining Performance Benchmarks On The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethereum Crypto Mining Performance Benchmarks On The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Phoronix: Ethereum Crypto Mining Performance Benchmarks On The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Over the past few days since receiving the RTX 2080 Ti "Turing" graphics card I have been running many different Linux benchmarks on this card, but one area I hadn't explored until having the time this weekend was to checkout the cryptocurrency mining potential, which I tried out with the CUDA support in Ethereum's Ethminer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ran some Ethereum bencharks.

Comment

To me, this cryptocurrency craze is fool's gold, snake oil for the lazy. Instead of going out and getting a job, or a second job or working some overtime, these people think they can get something for nothing. Yes, I know all about the "profits" that some make, but these "profits" only exist on paper, I think there's only 1 or 2 countries that consider any form of cryptocurrency legal currency and people that "mine" and "earn" these digital coins invariably store them in virtual "wallets". If you are going to "mine" then at least convert the "coins" to a global currency, like the dollar or euro, as soon as you earn it but these dummies won't do that because they don't want to pay taxes on the "money" they made so hey end up storing it digitally until the value tanks or it's stolen.

I have thought repeatedly that the person(s) that created bit coin, what started this whole insanity, must have been an employee of either a video card vendor, like AMD or Nvidia or someone that worked for a power company, because let's be honest with ourselves, the real winners with crypto-mining is these 2 businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        To me, this cryptocurrency craze is fool's gold, snake oil for the lazy. Instead of going out and getting a job, or a second job or working some overtime, these people think they can get something for nothing. Yes, I know all about the "profits" that some make, but these "profits" only exist on paper, I think there's only 1 or 2 countries that consider any form of cryptocurrency legal currency and people that "mine" and "earn" these digital coins invariably store them in virtual "wallets". If you are going to "mine" then at least convert the "coins" to a global currency, like the dollar or euro, as soon as you earn it but these dummies won't do that because they don't want to pay taxes on the "money" they made so hey end up storing it digitally until the value tanks or it's stolen.

I have thought repeatedly that the person(s) that created bit coin, what started this whole insanity, must have been an employee of either a video card vendor, like AMD or Nvidia or someone that worked for a power company, because let's be honest with ourselves, the real winners with crypto-mining is these 2 businesses.
        I mine and trade crypto currency and I have made a TON of money doing it. Enough to pay for a new 2018 Porsche 911 in cash and now I am working on paying off my house. I also work a full time job and I also have my own eBay store and run a side business as an IT consultant. I also pay taxes on the Crypto since I do most all my trades on Coinbase. Also, I have never had any Crypto stolen as you can take safe guards against that. I am not sure where you got your impression of people that mine and trade crypto but I know quite a few that do it and they all work full time jobs as well.

Comment

Thank you for posting this. It is the first review of the 2080 Ti for mining that I have seen. It does not appear that at the current price level and mining software that it is worth the money for mining. Now if those RT cores could be utilized for mining then I think you would see a huge boost. Here is hoping that the next generation of mining software can do this.

Comment

To me, banks and banknotes are a scam. Go get a real job an get paid in gold. Gold never rusts and lasts forever. Or in diamonds if you prefer. With banknotes, the real winner is the paper industry.

Comment

As if you can't convert it to dollars later on an exchange like Coinbase or Kraken.

Or maybe someone who was sick of banks and relying on other people's decisions especially after the 2008 crisis fallout. Guess what, that's around the time Bitcoin was born too. What a coincidence!

Just like the US Dollar, Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. But people use it, because they detest inflation and detest the government's monopoly on the dollar supply. Otherwise, it wouldn't have any value. Its value is tied to people paying that much for it. They pay for the algorithms it uses, because they guarantee that nobody can "print" bitcoins and devalue their own coins in the process.

An absolutely true free market. Nobody forces you to use it but you want to force others to not use it. Greatest thing in human history.
              Last edited by Weasel; 23 September 2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

The coin mining makes sense if you can get these cards for CHEAP (stolen? secondhand?) and also pay nothing for power (solar farm/cheapo grid state/mums credit card)...

Not many places fit that criteria these days, in saying that my folks place pulls in 20-30kwh per day from solar so mining can definitely be made profitable still but not much and only if you can get some GPU's for cheap.

Comment

I feel cryptocurrency is a ruse. Have felt that way for a while now. At first I only heard of bitcoin then after some years and studying I came to the conclusion that it's bs. Just another way to distract people and keep them busy with extra baggage and more bs.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                    I feel cryptocurrency is a ruse. Have felt that way for a while now. At first I only heard of bitcoin then after some years and studying I came to the conclusion that it's bs. Just another way to distract people and keep them busy with extra baggage and more bs.
                    Let's see. You can send XRP (Ripple) for a few cents worth within a few seconds to literally anyone else in the world and even beyond, all you need quite literally, is an address, no other bullshit paperwork. And any amount you want: $1, $1 million or $1 trillion equivalent, doesn't matter.

Show me how you can do that with fiat and the shitty banks stuck in the 1900s, and then I'll consider your position.

Comment

Working...
                    X