Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NVIDIA/AMD Linux GPU Gaming Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Dollar For July 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    To my recollection, the 580 tends to perform better than the 1060 on Windows too, the performance gap just isn't quite as wide.
    Yep, that has been my impression as well.
    Test signature

Comment

The 580 smokes the 1060. Impressive.
      I don t know what to feel about Vega.
      The 56 looks good even in Windows, but the 64 doesn't earn the price difference.
      The + it brought to AMD is that it closed the frequency gap. The 980ti could do 1500+ while the Fury X was dead at 1150. Now 1080 can do 2000 while Vegas can do 1700-1800. To bad for NGG.

Now on Linux AMD has drivers, but it needs new chips. Navi can't come soon enough especially since NVidia are probably gonna launch new lineup in Q3-Q4.

Michael, great benchmarks as always.

Comment

I'm a happy camper with my shiny new RX580. I just wished linux ported steam games didn't crash/not-start-due-to-abi half of the time.

Just finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided on high settings. One of the smoothest and best looking experiences for me recently and it made it on linux. It just crashes every 5th time I open the inventory or so

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          I have a 1080ti because 4k, which AMD doesn't really compete in yet, one day.
          My 4k display on RX 580 disagrees.

Comment

Expect AMD usage to grow faster now.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
              The 580 smokes the 1060. Impressive.
              I don t know what to feel about Vega.
              The 56 looks good even in Windows, but the 64 doesn't earn the price difference.
              The + it brought to AMD is that it closed the frequency gap. The 980ti could do 1500+ while the Fury X was dead at 1150. Now 1080 can do 2000 while Vegas can do 1700-1800. To bad for NGG.

Now on Linux AMD has drivers, but it needs new chips. Navi can't come soon enough especially since NVidia are probably gonna launch new lineup in Q3-Q4.

Michael, great benchmarks as always.

This. I wanted to buy Vega 56, but the price was inflated for too long Now the drivers have "somewhat" stabilized, but even if I go out and spend 400€ - these graphs still show mostly small improvements over RX580, plus the new generation is probably just about to come out. I'm even willing to spend 400€ on a GPU but I need good driver performance in decent time, not only when the card is a thing of the past already. 1060 vs Rx580 is the old question - the new question is RX580 vs Vega 56 -or maybe even new Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

My 4k display on RX 580 disagrees.
                I meant at 60fps, most cards can handle around 30fps on average or just under. And I'm talking about newer AAA titles not older or easy render ones.
                Thought Linux doesn't get many blockbusters games so the list is VERY short unless you use DXVK. (No SkyrimSE/Fallout4/KCD/Witcher3 etc etc etc)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  NVIDIA just released a new beta driver that fixes some of the freeze issues people were having with DXVK. I'd suggest people using that move to it.

I have a 1080ti because 4k, which AMD doesn't really compete in yet, one day.
                  Watercooled Vega with undervolt, 1055-1100mhz hbm2 and power limit does wonders to get into just barely into 4K.
                  still 20% below a 1080ti at that point but just the extra to get it into it.

Hoping amd have gotten enough ryzen money to start channeling dev money into amd graphics again instead of taking money out.

Comment

Fantastic work. Now we have better understanding what all that hardware is actually worth. Many! thanks.

Comment

Even before AMD started their open source initiatives, they were still the favorite company for many Linux users. I think it's probably related to being the under dog, so they appeal more to technical users.

I'm pretty big fan of NVidia myself and happy with my trusty 1080. But I'd like to see AMD succeed. Competition is great!

Comment

Working...
                      X