Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA-API 1.0 Video Acceleration Is Approved For Fedora 28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VA-API 1.0 Video Acceleration Is Approved For Fedora 28

    Phoronix: VA-API 1.0 Video Acceleration Is Approved For Fedora 28

    Friday's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) approved of VA-API 1.0 video acceleration for this spring's Fedora 28 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...I-1.0-Approved

  • #2
    Libva2/vaapi 1 is available also in OpenMandriva LX3.03. This cool distro is build with Clang and not like many other distros with gcc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Shouldn't they be putting in 2.1 to enable stuff on AMD cards too

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Shouldn't they be putting in 2.1 to enable stuff on AMD cards too
        VAAPI work fine on AMD GPU even on libva from 1.x branch. So no needed to push too fast libva2.1.

        This is changelog from libva2.1, so nothing important/related to AMD users.

        Code:
         "*Bump VA-API version to 1.1.0 and libva to 2.1.0
        Add API for multi-frame processing
        Add entrypoint VAEntrypointStats for Statistics
        Add data structures for HEVC FEI support
        Add new attributes for decoding/encoding/video processing
        Add new VPP filter for Total Color Correction
        Add blending interface in VPP
        Add rotation interface in VPP
        Add mirroring interface in VPP
        Add Chroma siting flags in VPP
        Add new color standard definitions
        Add new interface for exporting surface
        Add message callbacks for drivers to use"

        Comment


        • #5
          I think it was the API for multi-frame processing that was required for AMD cards

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by xpris View Post

            VAAPI work fine on AMD GPU even on libva from 1.x branch. So no needed to push too fast libva2.1.
            libva 2.1 is required for the vaapi/opengl interop to work with amd gpus, although currently this also requires mesa-git so it won't work with fedora 28 out of the box anyways.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I think it was the API for multi-frame processing that was required for AMD cards
              Trust me. I have been using vaapi for years on the amd card. Ofc it should be better and better with every new release but libva2.1 is not necessary for use on amd.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xpris View Post

                Trust me. I have been using vaapi for years on the amd card. Ofc it should be better and better with every new release but libva2.1 is not necessary for use on amd.
                This time you are wrong :-) In order to use VAAPI on modern architectures, especially with wayland and gles/gl interop via egl images is needed the ExportSurface API of version 2.1 is mandatory. So whenever you think of running kodi (upcoming v18) or mpv (git) without color degeneration you will need this upcoming version of vaapi.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xpris View Post

                  Trust me. I have been using vaapi for years on the amd card. Ofc it should be better and better with every new release but libva2.1 is not necessary for use on amd.
                  Well, you could have some difficulty using vaapi 1.0 (libva 2.0) for years, given it was released last November.

                  The thing about libva 2.0 is, that it break API with previous versions. Not only it breaks API, the new API was designed with Intel hardware in mind, i.e. makes assumptions that may be not valid for other hardware. You can get the story here: https://github.com/intel/libva/pull/125

                  So for AMD devices, you need 2.1, otherwise you are going to have a bad time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fritsch View Post

                    This time you are wrong :-) In order to use VAAPI on modern architectures, especially with wayland and gles/gl interop via egl images is needed the ExportSurface API of version 2.1 is mandatory. So whenever you think of running kodi (upcoming v18) or mpv (git) without color degeneration you will need this upcoming version of vaapi.

                    Originally posted by lu_tze View Post
                    Well, you could have some difficulty using vaapi 1.0 (libva 2.0) for years, given it was released last November.

                    The thing about libva 2.0 is, that it break API with previous versions. Not only it breaks API, the new API was designed with Intel hardware in mind, i.e. makes assumptions that may be not valid for other hardware. You can get the story here: https://github.com/intel/libva/pull/125

                    So for AMD devices, you need 2.1, otherwise you are going to have a bad time.
                    To be precise and honest. For years I use libva (vaapi from 1.X branch) on AMD hardware and work well. Now I have installed in system libva2 and looks like it work also well. Just trying it with VLC3 and not see issue.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X