Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrent EC-SS31: A $10 USB 3.1 To SATA 2.5-Inch Drive Adapter

Phoronix: Sabrent EC-SS31: A $10 USB 3.1 To SATA 2.5-Inch Drive Adapter

If you are looking out for a SATA 2.5-inch HDD/SSD to USB3 adapter, the Sabrent EC-SS31 is quite simple, works with Linux, supports USB 3.1, and retails for about $10 USD...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-Linux-Tests

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Currently this drive can be found for $9.99 USD on Amazon if this is what you're after.
    (it's not a drive)

Comment

Maybe an eSATA adapter could be Handy for SSDs. With a desktop you could just add a eSATA Adapter to the back.

Comment

Nice review !

I wonder why the SQLite performance is so good with the Sabrent compared to the StarTech enclosure while nor random or sequential read/write where faster.

edit: random read is actually faster, might cause the performance difference ?

Comment

Well for that price I guess the performance is pretty good, but still a little disappointing that it doesn't really offer any real benefit over USB 3.0.

Did you test it on a Gen2 port? Gen1 isn't 10Gbps.

Comment

Aw man, I just paid $20 for this USB 3.0 to SATA cable at Best Buy
            https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apricor...?skuId=3459621

Works fine with Linux and the 2.5 SSD that was in my (trashed) BayTrail laptop.

eSATA doesn't connect directly to the drive like this BTW, you need a eSATA enclosure or drive toaster too.

EDIT: And gnome-disk-utility reads the SMART data too, woot! I was going to run fs-mark on it but just takes too long...
            Last edited by InsideJob; 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I personally own two of these and they work brilliantly. It basically turns any 2.5" SATA drive into a portable external drive. It's great with GParted. I can dupe most HDD's at near their rated performance levels.

It doesn't quite keep up with SATA3 spec but it still provides a level of performance for my ancient Crucial M4 such that I can't tell whether I booted it from the host SATA connector or USB3.

Michael You could add this SATA2PATA adapter to the article to use with the Sabrent adapter so they can access 44-pin 2.5" IDE drives as well.
              Last edited by linuxgeex; 11-22-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

@Micheael linuxgeex could you please test if you can see SMART attributes and send commands to the SSD/drive from this thing? (gnome-disks or hdparm commandline tool)

This is good to have on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Well for that price I guess the performance is pretty good, but still a little disappointing that it doesn't really offer any real benefit over USB 3.0.
                  If you have a decent 2.5" ssd you are bottlenecked by usb 3.0's 5gbps as those ssd's support ~6gbps so you could get a small speed improvement with a usb 3.1 type 2 drive. Would be nice if someone did a real world benchmark test with a good ssd on a usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 type 2 so that we know exactly what speed improvement there is.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

If you have a decent 2.5" ssd you are bottlenecked by usb 3.0's 5gbps as those ssd's support ~6gbps so you could get a small speed improvement with a usb 3.1 type 2 drive. Would be nice if someone did a real world benchmark test with a good ssd on a usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 type 2 so that we know exactly what speed improvement there is.
                    Supposedly the products has "USB 3.1 high-speed supports up to 10Gbps data rate" (from the Amazon product page), so USB 3.1 gen 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X