Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razer Lachesis 4000DPI Mouse

Phoronix: Razer Lachesis 4000DPI Mouse

Over the years of Razer launching new products such as the Copperhead, Barracuda HP-1, and Tarantula, we have been completely overtaken by their incredibly well-designed products -- primarily their high-end gaming mice -- and the bar they continue to raise with each new iteration of products they introduce. The Razer Copperhead was one of their best mice to have been introduced and it contained a laser sensor with 2000 DPI capabilities, but their newest mouse is the Lachesis and it uses a 4000DPI 3G laser sensor. However, with Razer having yet to provide any drivers or customization software for the advanced capabilities of this mouse on Linux, is the Razer Lachesis worth its expensive price tag?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, Razer really suks, i did asked Razer about USB registers to Lachesis, so it would be possible to modify Deathaddercfg, etc. to support Lachesis, but this was their answer (dated 20.6.2008):

------------------
    hi Pekka,

thank you for your support for Razer.

We are afraid we do not have such documentations to provide you with.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Razer Customer Support

------------------

Maybe reverse engineering/usb sniffing, but, really, why Razer hates open source? They got really wrong attitude towards Linux gaming...

Comment

but, really, why Razer hates open source?
      maybe that's because if somebody sam the source to their driver they would realize it just an overpriced dumb usb mouse ?

Comment

Well, the magic isn't in the driver. I own a Razer Krait and even on windows I didn't bother with the Razer-Driver, as it's pretty much just a neat gui to the normal windows mice-settings.
        For a mice with flash-memory this might be slightly different, but actually I don't get why you'd want to configure anything besides the DPI.

Comment

Which you can do inside the xorg.conf

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            Well, the magic isn't in the driver. I own a Razer Krait and even on windows I didn't bother with the Razer-Driver, as it's pretty much just a neat gui to the normal windows mice-settings.
            For a mice with flash-memory this might be slightly different, but actually I don't get why you'd want to configure anything besides the DPI.
            I want to control those lights on scroll wheel and on logo...
            perhaps to assign keys, etc. shortcuts to mouse buttons on side of mouse.

Comment

Do we really need 4000dpi mice? I cant see there being any real difference over 2000dpi. Personally I've never bought into the designer mouse market and find the Intellimouse optical perfect for my needs. Its super comfy, perfectly accurate and needles to say it doesn't cost $80

Comment

It aint that hard

Razertech: look we can make linux drivers, here's a nice alpha version
                ...few months pass
                MSBallmah: 'lo razerguys, we'd like to buy some 100000 sensors from you.
                Razerceo: woa
                MSBallmah: and also like to ensure your ongoing wellbeing...
                MSBallmah: ...first we'll need to make your little shop more efficient
                ...years pass
                Razeruser: where did those drivers go?

Comment

Not so good mouse..

..Ive bought it recently. The good is, that it really looks nice, it has quite good ergonomy (plus its ambidextrous). Surface of mouse is really good, its like velvet. And.. thats all good.

First you must update firmware, or you cant use mouse properly (in bad case its unusable at all). If you flash it and it works, you are lucky guy (cause its has nice percetange of reclamations due flash failure).

Second, it does have really thin padsurfers so when you use mouse pad like eXactMat, youll get nice scratches on mouse bottom. And cause they are thin, it slows mouse movement. Plus they are gone quite fast.

Third, mouse sensor just sux. If you get one that actually work at 4000DPi, you are very lucky guy, mine is usable to maybe 2500 DPi, if I set it higher, it works for some time (like half an hour) and after that it starts jumping or moving on its own (tested on more than one PC and on more surfaces that you can imagine, including few progaming mouse pads).

Im really disappointed with this mouse. And when I get my new infrared mouse, Ill send this back to shop.

So, conclusion.. when it works, its great mouse (maybe best), problem is, that it works for maybe 50/100 ppl. For its price, every mouse they produce should be perfect.

PS: Not mentioning poor or none usability under linux systems..

Comment

QA

The lachesis must have had only a fairly short time in QA:

Those tiny holes around the sensor get clogged with dust/grease so fast - and then it happens, the mouse thinks you've picked it up when you haven't and turns off its infrared laser.

Comment

Working...
                    X