X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    how can you seriously consider 60hz srgb dp1.2 monitors in 2016?
    That's perfectly adequate for everything except fast paced gaming and wide gamut photo/video editing. And I believe Michael has no use for either.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    how can you seriously consider 60hz srgb dp1.2 monitors in 2016? being 4k on the other hand is not a requirement, at least you should check your software scaling and videocard performance beforehand

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by joh22n View Post
    I'm interested in getting myself a 28" 4k monitor but first I would like to know how display scaling works on Ubuntu with Unity. I've heard that text on 28" @ 4k is too small and you'd have to scale to make it more eye-friendly. What is your experience Michael: how is the text size for your eyes and have you tried display scaling on Unity to see whether everything scales nicely or not?

Thanks!
    Friendly advice: if you know from the start you'll need to scale, then you don't need all those pixels. Go with 1440 or 1600 instead.
    I'd go in some store and look at 4k and sub 4k models without scaling and let my eyes tell me what they actually need.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by Herem View Post
    Have there been any recent updates on how much progress has been made towards getting the DAL display abstraction code merged?
    Should be in Linux kernel 4.8.

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    Have there been any recent updates on how much progress has been made towards getting the DAL display abstraction code merged?

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    I'll wait for a decent price on a 54" IPS device with adaptive sync that isn't a smart TV.

If I'm going to have my GPU driving that many more pixels, I want the same DPI I currently get out of my spread of three 1280x1024 monitors so I can actually use those extra pixels. (54" at 16:9 would give the same width as my current spread of monitors, effectively adding a second row to my current 3x1 setup)

Leave a comment:

• daml
    replied
    I agre, IPS or GTFO. I have this one:
    Dell P2715Q 27" 4K IPS, $479.99
    Buy Used - Good: Dell 23" 60 Hz IPS HD LCD Monitor IPS 8ms (gray to gray) 1920 x 1080 D-Sub, DVI, DisplayPort, USB 2.0 P2314H with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

60HZ works perfect over DP.
    Once you go IPS you can never go back to TN!

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    4K is the wrong resolution for this size of monitor for a PC. It gives a DPI of 144 or exactly 1.5x96DPI so it requires 1.5x scaling on Linux and Windows (but 2x scaling on Macs which traditionally had a much shittier 72DPI).

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    @dungeon: That LG seems to be very nice, at least people are raving about it. But 4K on 27" is probably only adequate for gaming and multimedia, not Office work, CAD and programming. There are a new 40-inchers that are quite cheap, like: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/monito...-x4071uhsu-b1/
    Well, if you are close to monitor most of the time 27" is just fine While 40" close does not look fine like smaller, so that is better if you prefer sofa position

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Like this 27" IPS for $449 (sometimes drops to $399 people commented), one inch less yeah but sounds much better to me

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA4P04G57640
    Lg is also a pretty good brand as far as screens/TVs go.

I think you just caused many US people to suddenly lose $449+shipping and find serendipitously that monitor in the mail.

Looking for that in EU now...
    Nice. Thanks to (Obama) brexit I can get them for around 400-450 euros too, from uk sellers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X