Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

Phoronix: FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

The Free Software Foundation has certified ThinkPenguin's latest mini-router as a device that "respects your freedom" per their standards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

The Free Software Foundation has certified ThinkPenguin's latest mini-router as a device that "respects your freedom" per their standards...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-TPE-R1100-RYF
    personally I'm partial to Mikrotik and OpenWRT

Comment

This ThinkPenguin router looks like a rebranded GLI GL-AR150.

Comment

Atheros chipset, hmm. They are the most open chipsets at the moment :-)

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          This ThinkPenguin router looks like a rebranded GLI GL-AR150.
          Same OEM, probably. Looks like something a kid these days would need, but I'll stick to my Nighthawk X6 (the X8 is still not available in my country), thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Same OEM, probably. Looks like something a kid these days would need, but I'll stick to my Nighthawk X6 (the X8 is still not available in my country), thank you very much.
            I believe that all of the current 802.11ac drivers on Linux require proprietary firmware. That's one of the reasons the FSF hasn't approved any 802.11ac devices and the thingpenguin shop doesn't carry them.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I believe that all of the current 802.11ac drivers on Linux require proprietary firmware. That's one of the reasons the FSF hasn't approved any 802.11ac devices and the thingpenguin shop doesn't carry them.
              Honestly, I barely care about 802.11ac, a/b/g/n is good enough for me. But I do appreciate a good old GbE port (several of them actually).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Honestly, I barely care about 802.11ac, a/b/g/n is good enough for me. But I do appreciate a good old GbE port (several of them actually).
                802.11n is plenty for most of my house, but when I wanted to backup all of my DVD and Blu Ray rips (not that it matters, but every one is from a movie I purchased and still own on physical media) transferring the 1.5 TB backup from one PC to another on 802.11n took over a day.

Comment

Still waiting for the FSF to endorse the Turris Omnia, as opposed to this kid's toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

802.11n is plenty for most of my house, but when I wanted to backup all of my DVD and Blu Ray rips (not that it matters, but every one is from a movie I purchased and still own on physical media) transferring the 1.5 TB backup from one PC to another on 802.11n took over a day.
                    Which is why I mentioned the GbE ports in the first place

Comment

Working...
                    X