Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

    Phoronix: FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

    The Free Software Foundation has certified ThinkPenguin's latest mini-router as a device that "respects your freedom" per their standards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-TPE-R1100-RYF

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FSF Certifies Another Router For Respecting User's Freedom

    The Free Software Foundation has certified ThinkPenguin's latest mini-router as a device that "respects your freedom" per their standards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-TPE-R1100-RYF
    personally I'm partial to Mikrotik and OpenWRT

    Comment


    • #3
      This ThinkPenguin router looks like a rebranded GLI GL-AR150.

      Comment


      • #4
        Atheros chipset, hmm. They are the most open chipsets at the moment :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          This ThinkPenguin router looks like a rebranded GLI GL-AR150.
          Same OEM, probably. Looks like something a kid these days would need, but I'll stick to my Nighthawk X6 (the X8 is still not available in my country), thank you very much.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post

            Same OEM, probably. Looks like something a kid these days would need, but I'll stick to my Nighthawk X6 (the X8 is still not available in my country), thank you very much.
            I believe that all of the current 802.11ac drivers on Linux require proprietary firmware. That's one of the reasons the FSF hasn't approved any 802.11ac devices and the thingpenguin shop doesn't carry them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

              I believe that all of the current 802.11ac drivers on Linux require proprietary firmware. That's one of the reasons the FSF hasn't approved any 802.11ac devices and the thingpenguin shop doesn't carry them.
              Honestly, I barely care about 802.11ac, a/b/g/n is good enough for me. But I do appreciate a good old GbE port (several of them actually).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                Honestly, I barely care about 802.11ac, a/b/g/n is good enough for me. But I do appreciate a good old GbE port (several of them actually).
                802.11n is plenty for most of my house, but when I wanted to backup all of my DVD and Blu Ray rips (not that it matters, but every one is from a movie I purchased and still own on physical media) transferring the 1.5 TB backup from one PC to another on 802.11n took over a day.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Still waiting for the FSF to endorse the Turris Omnia, as opposed to this kid's toy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

                    802.11n is plenty for most of my house, but when I wanted to backup all of my DVD and Blu Ray rips (not that it matters, but every one is from a movie I purchased and still own on physical media) transferring the 1.5 TB backup from one PC to another on 802.11n took over a day.
                    Which is why I mentioned the GbE ports in the first place

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X