X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fate of Symbian?

Continuing an offtopic discussion from elsewhere:

Originally posted by superppl View Post
    Proprietary third party titles is something the Linux gaming scene needs desperately.

Look at Symbian; It runs on far more devices than Android or iPhone, yet the lack of any third party applications make it a much less desirable platform than the competition (or at least that is one aspect of why it's slowly failing).
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It was the lack of apps? I always thought it was the usability. Compared to Symbian, Blender and Gimp are a dream.
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    To tell you the truth I think your the first person that I have ever heard complaining about Symbians "usability".

I was surprised to hear this, and would like to hear others' opinion on this as well. Why do you think Symbian is going down?

As for my own:

I find the quote of lacking apps ironic, because 6-7 years ago Symbian was the only smartphone platform with "apps". Yes, WinMo did exist, but it was marginal enough not to matter. The crap Java ME things every phone supported don't really count as "apps".

For the usability, a fair amount of people here agree that it's horrible. Maybe it's because so many here have used one, I don't know.

It's slow. Opening a simple menu can take seconds. It's usually not even waiting-animated, you see how it draws things one by one.

It crashes often, and boots slow. Bad traits themselves, but together they are a rather bad combo. By the time a S60 phone has booted, a regular dumbphone has booted, shut down, and booted again.

Illogical operation. Suppose you are on the home screen, and want to go to the menu. You logically think one of the two action buttons would take you there, no? But no, neither does. There's a special small key, and you can't get to the menu otherwise.

And finally, the infamous example of changing the ringtone. One would expect something like settings -> sound -> ringtone, 3 levels deep. In the usual Symbian logic, you have to go settings -> phone settings -> profiles -> [whatever profile] -> sound settings -> ringtone, 6 levels deep in illogical menus.

Disclaimer: yes, it's all from my personal experience. I have had several Nokia phones, the latest had S60 3rd edition FP1. Haven't used the new ^3, can't tell if things have improved much in there.

actually though i like symbian,I hate How nokia protect the software code!!!
    actually u have to hack the phone to installed cracked software or the ones that do not have proper digital signatures.Maybe it turned away third party developers

I hate the restrictions,it is not thinking of common people,said i would only like the Nokia in that position.....

Comment

Even though Symbian is going to die,but I still think it is useful .Maybe I have got used to it.

Comment

I find the quote of lacking apps ironic, because 6-7 years ago Symbian was the only smartphone platform with "apps". Yes, WinMo did exist, but it was marginal enough not to matter. The crap Java ME things every phone supported don't really count as "apps".
        You're forgetting about PALMOS. Yeah, that was **THE** big smartphone platform back then. Applications, color touchscreen, simple to use... etc.

Imagine what could have been, if Palm was smart enough to NOT split itself in two with the two sides focused on fighting each other.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back then Palm did not have a phone part?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back then Palm did not have a phone part?
            Sure did, even longer, in fact. Palm made actual smartphones since 2002 (that is 9 years ago...), the Treo 180 (b/w) and the Treo 270 (color). In fact, those early ones were quite weird -- they were SMARTFLIPPHONES.

They moved to their more well known configurations a year later, configurations that were ripped off by RIM (though poorly)....
            In 2003, the Treo 600 (180x180 color touchscreen),
            In 2004, the Treo 650 (320x320 color touchscreen) <-- I had one of these. In fact, I *still* have it and it still works great (and I would still pick it over anything that apple sells....). Typical type of smartphone software runs on it, email/browser, video/music player, games, tomtom.... Yeah, you read that right. Tomtom AS IN GPS navigation.
            The 650 is also known to run ANDROID... http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/13/p...ng-life-video/
            Last edited by droidhacker; 31 October 2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I believe Symbian is a good in Nokia. Its okay it is asking for too much security question but it is good for mobile health.

Comment

Working...
              X