Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patch Posted For The Bigscreen Beyond VR Headset

Phoronix: Linux Patch Posted For The Bigscreen Beyond VR Headset

A Linux patch has been posted for delivering a quirk so that the Bigscreen Beyond VR Headset can properly behave under Linux and in turn also jives with the likes of SteamVR...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was wondering whether the Bigscreen Beyond is supported in Linux. The price is hefty, the $1k is *just* the headset, you need to buy controllers and tracking stations separately, either from HTC or Valve. But the smallness/lightness of it is cool.

Comment

How does the sw stack for VR looks like on linux? How far are we from something like MSFS working on linux with VR?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
        How does the sw stack for VR looks like on linux? How far are we from something like MSFS working on linux with VR?
        I have a htc vive(original) and it works. I am running into some bugs, but those may be because I am using it on Plamsa 6 wayland. On X11,I completed HL-Alyx. Recently, on Wayland , I have been running Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0. The Valve Index should work pretty well.

Comment

I wonder is the Bigscreen Beyond already out of support? Or why don't they fix the EDID in the firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

I have a htc vive(original) and it works. I am running into some bugs, but those may be because I am using it on Plamsa 6 wayland. On X11,I completed HL-Alyx. Recently, on Wayland , I have been running Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0. The Valve Index should work pretty well.
            Seconded that. Compared to other HMDs/controllers, the Index itself works perfectly.

It's just the software holding it back. SteamVR is workable if you know what version to use (and it may depend on the hardware, but I believe that nowadays NVIDIA drivers work okay too), otherwise you run into bugs that haven't been fixed for months, because Valve refuses to make it open source. 1.27.5 might look seriously broken at a first glance since SteamVR menus have rendering issues, but it is actually the most stable version as far as playing games works.

I'd love to comment on Monado, but whenever I tested it, I had very bad lag I couldn't ever resolve.

pegasus, If you have a HMD lying around, give it a shot. If you want to get into VR but don't have a HMD, be aware that VR on Linux is definitely not an out of the box experience.

Comment

I use the Beyond on Windows and it's incredible. This is where VR hardware should go if it's going to have mass appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by sbin View Post
                It's just the software holding it back. SteamVR is workable if you know what version to use (and it may depend on the hardware, but I believe that nowadays NVIDIA drivers work okay too)​
                I am currently using it with a RTX4080, but when I got my used Vive I was using a RTX2060. Both worked pretty well. I agree the software is the holdup.

Comment

Originally posted by Goonie View Post
                  I wonder is the Bigscreen Beyond already out of support? Or why don't they fix the EDID in the firmware?
                  They are still selling them new. I'd get one, but at $1000 just for the headset, no controllers or lighthouses(even if they'd work with my current), that is a bit more than I am currently will to spend even if all the reviews have been stellar. That is twice an Index's price.

Comment

Im still hoping for a more affordable but not sketchy VR headset. I've wanted to get into VR for a very long time now, but the prices are a bit high

Comment

Working...
                    X