More Organizations Join The Ultra Ethernet Consortium, v1.0 Spec In Q3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

They are talking about implementing next generation RDMA... https://ultraethernet.org/wp-content...-WITH-LOGO.pdf

It would be nice if it were possible to be supported on consumer hardware at lest in a subset of hits full form.... currently there is no real way to do any hardware offloading of Ethernet for consumer grade stuff.
    Yes. Let's see what they will come up with and if they will name it RoCE v3...

@tuaris Peruse through https://www.google.com/search?q=roce...erged+ethernet to learn about the advantages of RDMA vs the Ethernet full IP stack.

It would be nice if it were possible to be supported on consumer hardware at lest in a subset of hits full form.... currently there is no real way to do any hardware offloading of Ethernet for consumer grade stuff.

It's possible to enjoy a subset of this, just for having a fast network at home (~ 40 GbE) at low cost(*) with used Mellanox ConnectX-3 [pro or not] and FDR switches fetched on eBay. I do. But you need recent PCs, otherwise you end up with network bandwidth higher than the local buses (!) You can also do RDMA things if you have software that implements it. Still on my TODO list.

Doing 100 GbE at home will probably become possible at relatively low-cost (in ~ 5 years ?) once data centers and large organizations start dumping their "old" hardware while switching to 400 GbE or beyond. Right now, 100 GbE Mellanox VPI cards and switches are still too expensive for my low-life budget.

(*) Same or lower prices than current 10 GbE consumer hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post

Yes. Let's see what they will come up with and if they will name it RoCE v3...

@tuaris Peruse through https://www.google.com/search?q=roce...erged+ethernet to learn about the advantages of RDMA vs the Ethernet full IP stack.

It's possible to enjoy a subset of this, just for having a fast network at home (~ 40 GbE) at low cost(*) with used Mellanox ConnectX-3 [pro or not] and FDR switches fetched on eBay. I do. But you need recent PCs, otherwise you end up with network bandwidth higher than the local buses (!) You can also do RDMA things if you have software that implements it. Still on my TODO list.

Doing 100 GbE at home will probably become possible at relatively low-cost (in ~ 5 years ?) once data centers and large organizations start dumping their "old" hardware while switching to 400 GbE or beyond. Right now, 100 GbE Mellanox VPI cards and switches are still too expensive for my low-life budget.

(*) Same or lower prices than current 10 GbE consumer hardware.
      Yeah so what I am talking about is implementing basic offloading over plain commodity switches... that would be useful to consumers even if it isn't as good as enterprise grade it would at least allow such switchs to be practical rather than pretty much being doorstops.

Comment

Working...
      X