More Organizations Join The Ultra Ethernet Consortium, v1.0 Spec In Q3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Organizations Join The Ultra Ethernet Consortium, v1.0 Spec In Q3

Phoronix: More Organizations Join The Ultra Ethernet Consortium, v1.0 Spec In Q3

Announced last summer was the Ultra Ethernet Consortium started by the Linux Foundation along with AMD, Intel, Cisco, Meta, Microsoft, Broadcom, and other organizations. Ultra Ethernet aims for high performance networking for the likes of AI and HPC. The group announced today they've courted an additional 45 organizations to become members of this consortium and they are on track for their v1.0 specification in Q3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm missing Nvidia (Mellanox) from the list? As the leading HPC interconnect, I would expect them. The ex Intel Omni-Path team, now Cornelis Networks, is listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
      I'm missing Nvidia (Mellanox) from the list? As the leading HPC interconnect, I would expect them. The ex Intel Omni-Path team, now Cornelis Networks, is listed.
      Nvidia isn't known for helping the competition to compete with them.

Comment

Nvidia's Spectrum-X (an Ethernet based solution), or infiniband (Mellanox), are the technologies Nvidia wishes you to use for interconnects. At some point Spectrum-X and the Ultra Ethernet consortium may end up working with each other, but not today.

Comment

That is exactly why they are not there... all these other companies are joining together to compete against them so why would they join up with that.

Comment

No 100GBase-T, not interested.

Comment

So... after reading all that. I still don't know what is supposed to be.

Comment

So if i plug usb-c cable to phone and make connection to ethernet adapter from computer via usb-c Thunderbolt, phone would have internet via pc ethernet? maybe also plug phone cable to monitor HDMI and then no android shit magic required in distant future

why everyone think that phones had to do something required from them like calling from PC App and 2m cable is still thing to easy plug, but beware of broken usb-c specifications

Comment

Originally posted by tuaris View Post
                  It's not for you and me, the low-life. Data centers, large corporations (and Generative AI providers) want faster and faster interconnect, today's 400 Gbps or 800 Gbps, soon 1+ Tbps. This is for connecting CPUs, GPUs, DPUs, etc for distributed HPC, CXL, AI, anything that needs to move TBs of data and fast over a network.

NVidia wisely bought Mellanox quite some years ago to have its (hyper) fast interconnect leveraging InfiniBand.

All the other 800-gorillas therefore make peace to fight (together) against NVidia. Think of it as the most recent episode of "Ethernet vs. InfiniBand!" now that InfiniBand belongs to NVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by tuaris View Post
                    They are talking about implementing next generation RDMA... https://ultraethernet.org/wp-content...-WITH-LOGO.pdf

It would be nice if it were possible to be supported on consumer hardware at lest in a subset of hits full form.... currently there is no real way to do any hardware offloading of Ethernet for consumer grade stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X