Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.9.13 Adds Support For Newer Acer USB Docks

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.9.13 Adds Support For Newer Acer USB Docks

Fwupd 1.9.13 was released today by Red Hat's Richard Hughes as the newest feature update to this open-source firmware updating solution for Linux systems and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the list of things that should not be daemons

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      On the list of things that should not be daemons
      I'm not saying you are wrong. What are the reasons you opine that it should not be a daemon; and what are the reasons that Richard Hughes gives that support why he has implemented a daemon?
      Last edited by Old Grouch; 10 February 2024, 10:21 AM. Reason: Correct typo now→> not

Comment

Maybe he thinks that firmware updates should only happen through GUIs?

Its not like the fwupd daemon is running 24/7 or anything like that. When requested the thing starts, does a pull to check on updates, and then shuts down after a while. Seems like a good approach to me.

Comment

Ohh, don't worry, he's dead wrong 🙂 You can't do thunderbolt controller, retimer, or anything that uses dpaux (MST) without a startup daemon process. It's okay to autoquit on idle after a few minutes, but the parent comment just shows a poor understanding of how hardware actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
            You can't do thunderbolt controller, retimer, or anything that uses dpaux (MST) without a startup daemon process. It's okay to autoquit on idle after a few minutes, but [this is] how hardware actually works.
            Thanks hughsie.

Comment

I am glad that fwupd and LVFS exist, and I'm sure that I would appreciate them even more if my hardware weren't a mix of relics and DIYPC parts made by gamer brands that won't participate in a million years.

But I admit to also being puzzled by the daemon requirement whenever I hear of it.

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
              Ohh, don't worry, he's dead wrong 🙂 You can't do thunderbolt controller, retimer, or anything that uses dpaux (MST) without a startup daemon process. It's okay to autoquit on idle after a few minutes, but the parent comment just shows a poor understanding of how hardware actually works.
              What is a startup daemon, in this context? It sounds like there are some devices that only accept firmware updates in a short window after powerup? What is the advantage of a daemon over a once-through program triggered by a udev rule?

Perhaps it could be explained in detail in a FAQ or readme? Then you could just link people to it.

Comment

It's mostly documented in each README file, e.g. https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/blob/...bolt/README.md

Comment

Working...
                X