• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
    It's literally that graph on the blog post
    too many ironics .....
    ​*why would you hide information?
    * not everybody has keen observation
    * what about persons with visual disabilities
    * this reminds, when steve announced number of audio or video files capacity for ipods, was relevant and necessary for sales

Comment

LVFS is great, but it's too bad with the lacking support from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and other desktop PC motherboard vendors.

Comment

> lacking support from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and other desktop PC motherboard vendors

Be the change! Send them an email or a message on social media saying you only buy hardware with LVFS support.

Comment

I wonder if manufacturers will migrate to live Linux USB images to let Windows-only users perform firmware updates.
          Or have compatible clients for Windows. That would be more likely actually...

Actually. Let there be a universal firmware upgrade image, with an exFAT partition for offline files. That way it wouldn't need Internet connection at all.

Comment

It's really annoying that Dell (and others) don't seem to release their firmware updates through LVFS - why don't they all just use LVFS as default and, if they have a Windows piece of software (PoS) then they can just grab the image from LVFS (or vice-versa - LVFS could be a pointer to the company-hosted firmware).

In this day and age, with UEFI, where BIOS updates can simply be put onto the EFI partition and then a reboot doing the patching (possibly also allowing us a fail-back in the event of an issue), I'm really surprised that updates are still largely Windows-centric.
            There's no reason why the same image cannot/shouldn't be used in both Windows and Linux.

Everytime I boot into my Windows partition, run updates and then the BIOS updater I shiver knowing that this is so simple and the companies just "don't care" because they've already received their pound of flesh.

Comment

This reminds me of MS celebrating don't-remember-how-many Windows vX installations, because it was auto-forced on Windows v(X-1).

Something like the nth successful bank robbery. Yeah, why not.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post
                This reminds me of MS celebrating don't-remember-how-many Windows vX installations, because it was auto-forced on Windows v(X-1).

Something like the nth successful bank robbery. Yeah, why not.
                Did you compare voluntary and optional firmware updates that users choose to download to Windows and bank robbery? What are you smoking?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Is there a list of supported hardware?

Comment

This is a great tool that deserves to succeed.

Maybe releasing a Windows version of the tool, with (Microsoft Blessing if possible) could help dramatically increase the potential user base.
                    If Microsoft themselves start to say please update the firmwares through fwupd, because it's safe, unified and official, then the platform will skyrocket.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                      Maybe releasing a Windows version of the tool
                      There's a Windows setup binary in the github release page, but it's really designed for people deploying fwupd into factories rather than for end users to actually use. It's CLI (so there's no GUI at all), and only some of the plugins are build (e.g. USB, but nothing that requires EFI or sysfs/udev). The install bundle is unsigned, and it sometimes need to be run as the administrator -- so it's not something I can recommend for normal users yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X