LVFS Has Supplied More Than 100 Million Firmware Updates To Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Has Supplied More Than 100 Million Firmware Updates To Linux Users

Phoronix: LVFS Has Supplied More Than 100 Million Firmware Updates To Linux Users

The Red Hat engineers responsible for creating the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) are celebrating tonight with LVFS paired with the Fwupd Linux firmware updating utility now having served more than 100 million firmware updates!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LVFS and Fwupd are dope. Coverage on the enterprise / business class machines keeps growing. I hope it snowballs into an inflection point where it's just how OEMs want to distribute firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      I hope it snowballs into an inflection point where it's just how OEMs want to distribute firmware.
      You can help. Refuse to individually purchase (and have your organizations purchasing department refuse to purchase) any OEM that does not support LVFS. If that means [vendor] is eliminated during the RFP down-select sales/marketing from those vendors will get the message (as only money matters).

If you (or your organization) does not make LVFS support an absolute requirement you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

You can help. Refuse to individually purchase (and have your organizations purchasing department refuse to purchase) any OEM that does not support LVFS. If that means [vendor] is eliminated during the RFP down-select sales/marketing from those vendors will get the message (as only money matters).

If you (or your organization) does not make LVFS support an absolute requirement you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.
        Well I do purchase workstations for myself and family that support LVFS, and I do update said systems with fwupdmgr, and I do recommend these systems to other people so I don't really think I'm a big part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Is there a list of supported hardware?

Comment

counting the number of every single download is similar to count every gram of CO2 released by a cow.

Comment

was just about one and a half years ago that LVFS served 52 million downloads and now has crossed the 100 million threshold! Or in December 2021 was when LVFS served up its 40 millionth download -- +60 million in just two years. .....in early 2019 when at the time it seemed impressive serving 5 million firmware files...... one and a half years ago that LVFS served 52 million downloads and now has crossed the 100 million threshold! Or in December 2021 was when LVFS served up its 40 millionth download -- +60 million in just two years. ..... in early 2019 when at the time it seemed impressive serving 5 million firmware files.​
              * sadly none of the above provide number of devices available...
              * number of downloads is pretty much useless unless they are accompained by number of devices
              ​​​​* ironically blog post is also ​​​​silent

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                Is there a list of supported hardware?
                Sure, I should have included that in my blog! https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/ is what you want. Thanks all.

Comment

> number of downloads is pretty much useless unless they are accompained by number of devices

It's literally that graph on the blog post The raw data is https://fwupd.org/lvfs/metrics if that's interesting to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
                    > number of downloads is pretty much useless unless they are accompained by number of devices

It's literally that graph on the blog post The raw data is https://fwupd.org/lvfs/metrics if that's interesting to anyone.
                    This happens if you don't lable the axis of your graphs

Comment

Working...
                    X