Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe SSD

Phoronix: Corsair MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe SSD

Corsair this month released the MP700 PRO NVMe SSD as the company's newest PCI Express Gen5 NVMe SSD. After the initial issues encountered with the Corsair MP700, I was eager to see how well this PCIe 5.0 solid-state drive would perform. Corsair rates their MP700 PRO SSD as capable of reaching up to 12,400 MB/s sequential reads and 11,800 MB/s sequential writes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It appears that samsung may have engaged in some unhealthy "lets boost some already meaninglessly high and irrelevant metrics" firmware practices, leading to diminishing performance in other areas across the board.

I didn't expect its "pro" / top tier drive to be the runt in this bunch.

It has truly become the intel of ssds ... overpriced and underperforming.

Comment

Is is possibile to temp throttle an SSD on Linux, so that it slows down when it exceeds certain temperature?

Comment

I think the drive temp stuff is getting a problem. Ridiculous.
        What will happen soon is to have water-cooling solutions for NVMe SSD disks connected to a long cable inside a 3.5" housing next to the computer etc.
        This reminds me the apple ecosystem. You have just a nice plane apple laptop... But you want to add some other components. So you get yourself a Hub (whatever tech), then the other devices, and you have a hedgehog like setup with the apple device in the middle and all others spread around in star-formation.

IMHO, if drives will be another issue add lots of temp to the systems, we'll need to have cases suitable to deal with it out of the box.
        Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
          I think the drive temp stuff is getting a problem. Ridiculous.
          What will happen soon is to have water-cooling solutions for NVMe SSD disks connected to a long cable inside a 3.5" housing next to the computer etc.
          This reminds me the apple ecosystem. You have just a nice plane apple laptop... But you want to add some other components. So you get yourself a Hub (whatever tech), then the other devices, and you have a hedgehog like setup with the apple device in the middle and all others spread around in star-formation.

IMHO, if drives will be another issue add lots of temp to the systems, we'll need to have cases suitable to deal with it out of the box.

"go go mobile suit airconditioner"

Comment

So it comes with a massive block of a cooler, needs a fan and an extra power supply for it, looking like a prototype straight out of a lab, and its performance only stands out for a couple of sequential read and write tests, but is otherwise worse than an older and much cheaper WD Black SN850? WTF??

Comment

Hey Michael, would it be possible to get the pts “profile” to run this bench to compare on my system? I didn’t see it in the article. I have been wondering how a pair of pcie4 nvme compare to 1 pcie5 nvme and I have that. A pair of 2tb pcie4 are usually cost competitive to a 2tb pci5 and both setups have the same bandwidth roughly.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                hey michael, would it be possible to get the pts “profile” to run this bench to compare on my system? I didn’t see it in the article. I have been wondering how a pair of pcie4 nvme compare to 1 pcie5 nvme and i have that. A pair of 2tb pcie4 are usually cost competitive to a 2tb pci5 and both setups have the same bandwidth roughly.
                2311268-ne-ssdstorag02
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

2311268-ne-ssdstorag02
                  Doesn't look like that one made it onto Openbenchmarking.org

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

Doesn't look like that one made it onto Openbenchmarking.org
                    It is, make it uppercase as the forum software made it all lowercase.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X