TuxClocker 1.3 Preparing Additional AMD GPU Voltage & Memory Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TuxClocker 1.3 Preparing Additional AMD GPU Voltage & Memory Controls

Phoronix: TuxClocker 1.3 Preparing Additional AMD GPU Voltage & Memory Controls

Since the release of TuxClocker 1.0 back in September, this open-source and independently-developed overclocking/performance utility for Linux systems has been quick to tack on new features and rolling out new versions. A release candidate for TuxClocker 1.3 was issued a few days ago with yet more AMD graphics card controls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know the Linux motto is due one thing and do it well but it's such a shame that AMD can't get an app that control CPU and GPU frequencies and voltages all in one package like on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      I know the Linux motto is due one thing and do it well but it's such a shame that AMD can't get an app that control CPU and GPU frequencies and voltages all in one package like on Windows
      Even on Windows you still need external application to overclock (some of the cards, Nvidia or AMD). Even if it does has a GUI to do it, there are far better applications (in windows) apparently.

The benefit in Linux is that at least the GUI-applications are open source.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
        There is support for setting the governor minimum/maximums, but I suppose you can do more on AMD CPUs. Adding support for new kinds of devices is quite easy though, since adding them doesn't require any changes to the GUI code.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkki View Post

There is support for setting the governor minimum/maximums, but I suppose you can do more on AMD CPUs. Adding support for new kinds of devices is quite easy though, since adding them doesn't require any changes to the GUI code.
          Considering moving from corectrl to tuxclocker, I like the extra configuration options. One thing I appreciate from corectrl is the ability to change profiles based on running applications. I couldn't tell from the GitHub, is this also something tuxclocker supports?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Considering moving from corectrl to tuxclocker, I like the extra configuration options. One thing I appreciate from corectrl is the ability to change profiles based on running applications. I couldn't tell from the GitHub, is this also something tuxclocker supports?
            That's not currently supported, but you could set your overclocks to depend on your GPU usage for example. If something like that isn't enough, I'm open to adding a DBus interface to the GUI you can call to change profiles. Then you could call that with 'gamemode' for example

Comment

That's not currently supported, but you could set your overclocks to depend on your GPU usage for example. If something like that isn't enough, I'm open to adding a DBus interface to the GUI you can call to change profiles. Then you could call that with 'gamemode' for example
              Hmm. To explain what I currently do, I have an aggressive undervolt and quiet fan profile for typical use, move to a more conservative undervolt when steam/lutris/etc are launched, and for select demanding games enable a more aggressive fan curve and disable the undervolt.
              Checking for running process names would be ideal, but a quick switcher list from a tray icon would also be a great option.
              Not trying to be demanding, just suggestions to make a clearly well thought out project just a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Hmm. To explain what I currently do, I have an aggressive undervolt and quiet fan profile for typical use, move to a more conservative undervolt when steam/lutris/etc are launched, and for select demanding games enable a more aggressive fan curve and disable the undervolt.
                Checking for running process names would be ideal, but a quick switcher list from a tray icon would also be a great option.
                Not trying to be demanding, just suggestions to make a clearly well thought out project just a bit better.
                It could be doable with TuxClocker's connection system, you could do something like in the image below. Of course just GPU utilization might not be a perfect metric of being demanding.

Screenshot_20231109_182833.png
                Attached Files

Comment

It could be doable with TuxClocker's connection system, you could do something like in the image below. Of course just GPU utilization might not be a perfect metric of being demanding.

Screenshot_20231109_182833.png
                  Interesting!

Comment

Working...
                  X