Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 5 Single Board Computers Begin Shipping

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 5 Single Board Computers Begin Shipping

After the Raspberry Pi 5 was excitingly announced a few weeks ago, Eben Upton shared today that ramping up the production has gone better than initially anticipated and that these AArch64 single board computers are beginning to ship to customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And no fully working MESA upstream driver, no fully conformsnt OpenGL implementation. And nonfully Linux upstream kernel support.

Good, Raspberry Pi 5. You are amazing

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      And no fully working MESA upstream driver, no fully conformsnt OpenGL implementation. And nonfully Linux upstream kernel support.

Raspberry Pi's have upstream drivers? I am asking because the GPU of my 3B+ shows up as "unknown graphics controller" in Ubuntu. And I am not the only person having this issue:

(though I am using the latest 22.04.3 LTS instead of 21.04, the issue is the same)

That's a general issue with ARM boards: The OS provided by the hardware vendor is the only safe choice by a wide margin. Even Apple Silicon Macbooks have the same issue (anything other than MacOS sucks big time on Apple Silicon). Though Raspberry PI's have the dubious honour of having even the OS provided by the hardware vendor be plagued with support issues.

But hey, x86 is the "closed" architecture and ARM the "open" one (I am told)...
      Last edited by kurkosdr; 23 October 2023, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post

Raspberry Pi's have upstream drivers? I am asking because the GPU of my 3B+ shows up as "unknown graphics controller" in Ubuntu.
        As I pointed out in this thread, the upstream drivers are for version 5 which just got released. You are using an older model which didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

As I pointed out in this thread, the upstream drivers are for version 5 which just got released. You are using an older model which didn't.
          In your other post, you are implying all Raspberry Pi's have an upstream Gallium driver:

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
          vc4 Gallium (OpenGL 2.1 + GLES 2.0) for Pi 0-3 Pi 0 - 3
          v3d Gallium (OpenGL 3.1 + GLES 3.1) for Pi 4+5 Pi 4 + 5
          v3dv Vulkan 1.1 for Pi 4+5 (AFAIU Vulkan 1.2+ is possible in hardware) Pi 4 + 5
          Old proprietary stuff is old proprietary stuff, just ignore​ Pi 0 - 3
          This is not the case, otherwise a PI 3B+ wouldn't show up us an "unknown graphics controller" in Ubuntu
          Last edited by kurkosdr; 23 October 2023, 10:59 AM.

Comment

In your other post, you are implying all Raspberry Pi's have an upstream Gallium driver:
            I am not. You are quoting someone else.

Comment

Raspberry Pi's have upstream drivers? I am asking because the GPU of my 3B+ shows up as "unknown graphics controller" in Ubuntu. And I am not the only person having this issue:

(though I am using the latest 22.04.3 LTS instead of 21.04, the issue is the same)
              You probably just need to build the graphics driver. Even on the latest RasPi OS, it's not the default OpenGL driver on those machines, but must be manually enabled via raspi-config (under Advanced Options -> GL Driver). If you get it right, then the command gxlinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" should show:

OpenGL renderer string: VC4 V3D 2.1

Performance-wise, don't get your hopes up. Besides offloading the CPU cores a bit, the Pi 3's GPU really isn't worth much.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                You probably just need to build the graphics driver. Even on the latest RasPi OS, it's not the default OpenGL driver on those machines, but must be manually enabled via raspi-config (under Advanced Options -> GL Driver). If you get it right, then the command gxlinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" should show:

OpenGL renderer string: VC4 V3D 2.1

Performance-wise, don't get your hopes up. Besides offloading the CPU cores a bit, the Pi 3's GPU really isn't worth much.
                Thanks, will try it. As long as the CPU doesn't have to draw the pixels one by one like a VGA-equipped PC from 1992, it's already a huge plus. Although if I need to build anything, I call it quits.

But anyway, why do those Canonical folks ship the GPU drivers disabled on a ROM intended to support, like, 5 computers? Can't they optimise the ROM for those 5 computers? Strange... This is why I am saying that when it comes to ARM boards, the only safe choice is the OS provided by the hardware manufacturer. Expect anything else to suck big time.
                Last edited by kurkosdr; 23 October 2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to getting mine. Have configured a new USB 3.0 SSD as a 64bit PI OS Bookworm boot drive with a RPI-4. So now just waiting for a RPI-5 to arrive to put it to use!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Would be better if all of this have been done at least prior to shipping to pre-order customers.
                    Last edited by AkulaMD; 23 October 2023, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X