Unplugging Logitech USB Receivers Has Been Causing The Linux Kernel To Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
    I think this has been fixed in windows since what... Win98SE?? This is a fundamental design flaw with the monolithic Linux kernel design.
    This is nonsense. Monolithic and Hybrid kernels are not that different regarding what runs inside and outside the kernel. Hybrid kernels differ to monolithic ones mainly in their internal design. On Windows, device drivers also run in kernel mode, so theoretically, a buggy driver could also bring down the Windows NT kernel.

On another note, yes, that's a very embarrassing bug. The more I see ridiculous bugs like these both in Linux kernel and user space, the more I'm convinced I made the right decision of Switching to Debian Stable 2 months ago. Stable, rock solid and tested almost to perfection. I simply don't want additional headache from stumbling upon endless upstream Linux regressions, which lately seem to be more and more common. Not long ago, I've seen someone complained that after a minor kernel update, his distro stopped booting. Apparently it was caused by an Nvme driver bug in the Linux kernel.
    Last edited by user1; 15 October 2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

And yet I had like 5 bluescreens on my Windows notebook from work only this year.
      Phew... thats pretty crazy. I would check for hardware issues... or something is not doing what is supposed to. I have BSODed Windows this year also, but it was running in a VM with a poorly emulated TPM.

In no way am i trying to advocate that windows is flawless, its just vastly better on the desktop than Linux. That said it is cost prohibitive to run as a host platform in any kind of a cloud application.

Comment

Originally posted by access View Post

Yes, that is why searching for "windows usb unplug bsod" gives zero results after 1999.
        DuckDuckGo does indeed show zero results after 1999...

Screenshot from 2023-10-15 13-04-31.png

😂

Comment

I think this has been fixed in windows since what... Win98SE?? This is a fundamental design flaw with the monolithic Linux kernel design.

Yanking any PnP piece of hardware out should NEVER cause a general kernel failure, there are so many things wrong with that. Even if the whole USB stack implodes it should not bring down the kernel. Heck on modern windows the whole graphical subsystem can implode for any number of reasons and Windows will re-init it from the ground up with only a flicker of the screen (and probably an error message for whatever game caused the reset).

Linux is an awesome OS for hosting where users never interact with it, you can get pretty insane performance and its generally going to just run... I doubt Linux will ever make it on the desktop... it just has to many wholes.
          LOL @ thinking Windows is not an monolithic kernel.

Comment

This must be very specific. I have several Logitech devices and plugging/unplugging the USB dongle had never caused any crashes.

Comment

I'd be interested to know what kinda protections Linux could put in place to protect from fairly unimportant pieces of code like this bringing down the entire kernel.

Comment

Computers should have more USC slots than USB and if Chinese manufactures are not yet paid for low powered mice chips development cost for US high tech devices, then it is maybe time for also USB sticks to go to history

European approach to have standard USB-C delivery for next 10,20,30 years or so also means that such regulation is for assholes in lobby when standards will change but support for USB-C delivery and DATA standard would mean that such shit have to be supported like USB 1 mouse chips in Linux kernel also for new HIGH TECH mouses or other standard devices to control computer which should be also question Desktop computer is gone or present or Android devices is new Windows for clickers

Comment

Yanking any PnP piece of hardware out should NEVER cause a general kernel failure, there are so many things wrong with that. Even if the whole USB stack implodes it should not bring down the kernel. Heck on modern windows the whole graphical subsystem can implode for any number of reasons and Windows will re-init it from the ground up with only a flicker of the screen (and probably an error message for whatever game caused the reset).

Linux is an awesome OS for hosting where users never interact with it, you can get pretty insane performance and its generally going to just run... I doubt Linux will ever make it on the desktop... it just has to many wholes.
                  FWIW, it's not just the Linux kernel. On OpenBSD I've had kernel panics when using a KVM to switch from a system running OpenBSD to another system, using a Logitech dongle for my keyboard and mouse. Switching to a wired USB keyboard and mouse setup eliminates the issue, as does leaving the Logitech dongle plugged into a running system (Linux or BSD) so it's definitely a Logitech thing and definitely not limited to the Linux kernel.

Comment

Phew... thats pretty crazy. I would check for hardware issues...
                    Nah, hardware is fine. Pretty much all was driver related.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

LOL @ thinking Windows is not an monolithic kernel.
                      Technically its a hybrid kernel, largly for performance. So yah there are no perfect solutions yet!

Comment

Working...
                      X