System76 Unveils Latest Improvements To Their Thelio Linux Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Unveils Latest Improvements To Their Thelio Linux Computers

Phoronix: System76 Unveils Latest Improvements To Their Thelio Linux Computers

System76 has announced their latest design improvements to their in-house manufactured, Linux-loaded Thelio desktop computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correction: Thelios have never had front IO ports (one of the main criticisms they regularly receive, in fact). There are no front IO ports to move to the top. These are new top IO ports, which means this change is rather more significant than the article indicates.

Comment

If they start offering AMD CPUs with ECC support out of the box, I'd be ordering one practically on the spot

Comment

Originally posted by unixpoet View Post
        Correction: Thelios have never had front IO ports (one of the main criticisms they regularly receive, in fact). There are no front IO ports to move to the top. These are new top IO ports, which means this change is rather more significant than the article indicates.
        Except that's actually a rather poor design decision. If the case is under a desk or shelf (like most cases are situated) any number of things can fall into those ports other than just plain dust, which isn't great for mechanical electrical connections, either. Still, it's a minor ding and rectifiable. It's potentially better than front ports where you may bang into cables plugged into it, like my current desktop in which one of the USB ports is no longer reliable because of too many knocks by people walking by and accidentally banging into the devices I used to plug in there. In some ways I miss desktop cases (as in actual horizontally designed cases) because they don't have that problem. Devices plugged into ports are largely protected by the plane of the desk itself when properly situated away from the immediate work area.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          If they start offering AMD CPUs with ECC support out of the box, I'd be ordering one practically on the spot
          The world’s smallest quad-GPU workstation for deep learning and scientific computing.

this has been around for a while not sure what else you could be looking for in terms of amd cpu's. I guess its a little dated maybe? But only 1024GB of ecc ram so maybe that limits some people. ?

Comment

Those cases look really nice. Much nicer than my budget-grade Coolermaster case.

After putting the closest parts they had available from my PC into their system builder I feel a lot better about the money I've saved by building my own system and doing incremental upgrades as I can afford them. What I have is around $2500 with their builder and I'd still have to add more storage, faster ram, and upgrade the GPU. I have around $1800 in my system...which is rather surprising to me. I never actually added up all the small purchases over the years until today. My guess was $1400 or $1500.

I might splurge in the future and buy a Nebula49 case. It's a little pricey, but I already have the case fans for the GPU and my CPU cooler should barely fit the shroud; an NH-U12A.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike_Spiegel View Post

The world’s smallest quad-GPU workstation for deep learning and scientific computing.

this has been around for a while not sure what else you could be looking for in terms of amd cpu's. I guess its a little dated maybe? But only 1024GB of ecc ram so maybe that limits some people. ?
              Perhaps they were talking about AM5-based systems. I couldn't find that with a quick GIS so...

mmstick Does the Thelio (and/or Major) support ECC with AM5 processors? I don't know if they have the same motherboard or not.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Perhaps they were talking about AM5-based systems. I couldn't find that with a quick GIS so...

mmstick Does the Thelio (and/or Major) support ECC with AM5 processors? I don't know if they have the same motherboard or not.
                The Mega is your best bet, each one in the line have their own unique function and workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by ahoneybun View Post

The Mega is your best bet, each one in the line have their own unique function and workflow.
                  Unfortunately for me, they don't sell bare bones systems; just a case, motherboard, and maybe a power supply. I upgraded from a Zen 2 APU to an X3D Zen 4 last month, AM4 to 5, so I'm not really looking for a complete system. That's why up above I said I was considering buying the Nebula49 case. All those nice, new parts could use a better home than what they have and I really do like the style and looks of the Nebula cases.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Talking about the basic AMD Thelio system. Mega is major league overkill. Theoretically all AMD Ryzen CPUs are able to use ECC RAM, it's just a question whether or not the motherboard has enabled support. Why should it be limited to only the workstation class systems when virtually everyone could benefit from the feature? Very few people actually need a 400W $3k+ CPU under (or on) their desk. But a $200 CPU has the same ECC capability, so it should be used IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X