Fwupd 1.9.6 Brings Linux Firmware Updating For AMD Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Wait, does it mean simply firmware in /usr/lib/firmware, or something like updating cards VBIOS?
    It means updating the IFWI, which is flashed to the card.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There were several patches earlier in the year that added the base functionality, but it was temporarily disabled while we added support for the fan curve adjustments to avoid breaking the API. These are the most recent changes to enable it.

The voltage offset setting will be applied to the whole v/f curve line instead of per anchor point base. Signed-off-by: Evan Quan Acked-by: Alex Deucher Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher...
      Only offset voltage? Won't that make it unlikely to gain significant efficiency / performance without destabilizing the GPU at 2D clocks? And particularly high->low transitions when the chip is hot?

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
        Only offset voltage? Won't that make it unlikely to gain significant efficiency / performance without destabilizing the GPU at 2D clocks? And particularly high->low transitions when the chip is hot?

You can adjust the clocks too (in earlier patches). It's not really fundamentally different from previous generations.

Comment

Taking this thread back to the original article, is anyone seeing 7900 or RDNA3 cards in the list of detected FW with fwupdmgr? I was excited to see this article by Phoronix, but I have 1.9.7 (I think) and kernel 6.6.0, and fwupdmgr doesn't detect my GPU. Is this expected? 7900 is Navi 31 IIRC, so it should be detected if the announcement is accurate, right?

Comment

Never mind. I thought it wasn't detecting, but I guess it is. Must not have run get-devices, but thought I had. Awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X