Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.9.6 Brings Linux Firmware Updating For AMD Graphics Cards

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.9.6 Brings Linux Firmware Updating For AMD Graphics Cards

A new release of Fwupd 1.9.6 is out today and it's notable in that AMD graphics cards can now enjoy firmware upgrades under Linux. This AMD GPU firmware updating works with Navi 3x GPUs and future hardware on recent versions of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia?

Crickets.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      Nvidia?

Crickets.
      NVidia's firmware is always perfect and never needs updating.

Comment

The only time I remember you had to flash a bios upgrade to your gpu was the 5600 XT:

With quite a bit of consternation on AMD's Radeon RX 5600 XT release we figured it would be a good time to talk you through the process of flashing new firmware into a Radeon graphics card. We'll pr...

Comment

Does anybody know if laptops like HP Elitebook 865 G10 can be updated via fwupd? It shows "No Releases Available" and I had to update it via the BIOS built-in updater, but it's strange because other HP hardware like their Thunderbolt 4 G4 Dock is supported via fwupd. I've read that in some laptops like Lenovo's you have to enable some option in the BIOS in order to unlock fwupd, but I didn't see anything useful in HP's bios. I'm on Linux 6.6 (which supports HP-BIOSCFG: https://www.phoronix.com/news/HP-BIOSCFG-For-Linux-6.6) but I couldn't find any use for it either.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Nvidia?

Crickets.
            AMD RNDA 3 cards - undervolting/power limit options - 'crickets.' HDMI 2.1 in Linux on any amd card? 'crickets.' HIP-RT - in Linux? Nope. Need I go on? AMD support is wanting, too, buds.

If you are using a 4K TV - and you have hdmi 2.1 ports - and that's it - what is your options with AMD cards in Linux? Buying multiple hdmi to display port adapters that won't work?

How often do you flash firmware for an amd gpu?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

AMD RNDA 3 cards - undervolting/power limit options - 'crickets.' HDMI 2.1 in Linux on any amd card? 'crickets.' HIP-RT - in Linux? Nope. Need I go on? AMD support is wanting, too, buds.

If you are using a 4K TV - and you have hdmi 2.1 ports - and that's it - what is your options with AMD cards in Linux? Buying multiple hdmi to display port adapters that won't work?

How often do you flash firmware for an amd gpu?
              I flash fan curves, voltages, gigahertzes and memory timings on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                I've read that in some laptops like Lenovo's you have to enable some option in the BIOS in order to unlock fwupd, but I didn't see anything useful in HP's bios
                I guess HP just don't publish firmware anything on LVFS for motherboard family used in your HP Elitebook 865 G10.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                but it's strange because other HP hardware like their Thunderbolt 4 G4 Dock is supported via fwupd
                By the way, to my surprise, my wife's HP Dragonfly G2 started to receive UEFI updates via fwupd this year.​

Comment

very nice

Comment

AMD RNDA 3 cards - undervolting/power limit options - 'crickets.'

Support has been available for a while via patches, it will be enabled in kernel 6.7.

HDMI 2.1 in Linux on any amd card? 'crickets.'
                    This will likely come down to the HDMI Forum. Supporting this requires details of the HDMI spec which is currently not public per HDMI Forum rules.

Comment

Working...
                    X